Question for retro fit Car Play/Android users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seanalf

Car
C200 CDI Sport 4dr
Hi, looking for those who have retro fitted the Road Top Android kit as per the link as I'm considering for my W204:

To get sound, am I correct it plugs into the AUX port in the arm rest? There's no other connections it can run through?
Can you run 2 apps at the same time, say BBC sounds and maps, will the maps mute the sounds like it does on a "normal" android head unit when giving directions?
I take it you Hotspot your phone and connect via USB (for Android Auto) for it to work?
I have the Pure Highway DAB which currently runs through the AUX, so I know I would have to switch that off or have a splitter if possible?

I've had AA before on other cars, I like it, I'm just seeing what, if any advantages it gives me now and what limitations it has. Maps is obviously a huge improvement on the standard, but I don't mind the onboard one, now I've updated lol.

Thanks all as always.

Seanalf - did you purchase in the end? Theres a few threads and topics but this one is the most recent. I have a 2013 W204 incoming next week, I never upgraded my E Class so this time I'm going to do it ASAP. Interested in these Road Top kits as on the face of it they appear very good value and available quickly via Amazon.

Let me know!

I've installed this: MERCEDES BENZ E CLASS W207 W212 GPS BLUETOOTH WIFI ANDROID CARPLAY YOUTUBE NETFLIX
It really adds a modern look to the interior. I'm still getting to grips with it as it can do so much.
I tend to use carplay for calls and streaming but the android section can do much more than carplay.
Waze is a revelation compared to the command navigation.
The only downside is the sound quality is not as good as OEM - my supplier is currently looking into this.
I also installed an external mic as the mic in the screen was picking up too much noise.
You can run waze and stream at the same time via carplay without any issues - ie you can hear the directions.
I also have a PAYG sim with 25GB data used for connectivity, currently only used around 4GB in a couple of weeks. Frees up relying on the phone for connection.
Overall I'm very pleased with it.
I'll post some pictures later

I've installed this: MERCEDES BENZ E CLASS W207 W212 GPS BLUETOOTH WIFI ANDROID CARPLAY YOUTUBE NETFLIX
It really adds a modern look to the interior. I'm still getting to grips with it as it can do so much.
I tend to use carplay for calls and streaming but the android section can do much more than carplay.
Waze is a revelation compared to the command navigation.
The only downside is the sound quality is not as good as OEM - my supplier is currently looking into this.
I also installed an external mic as the mic in the screen was picking up too much noise.
You can run waze and stream at the same time via carplay without any issues - ie you can hear the directions.
I also have a PAYG sim with 25GB data used for connectivity, currently only used around 4GB in a couple of weeks. Frees up relying on the phone for connection.
Overall I'm very pleased with it.
I'll post some pictures later
Did you DIY install?
I'm considering going for a very similar (if not same) system in my car.

Did you DIY install?
I'm considering going for a very similar (if not same) system in my car.
Yes I DIY'd. The hardest part was refitting the command unit with the extra wiring loom. Aside from that it was pretty much starightforward.

This is how it looks the first picture still has the screen protector on - I had to remove the screen to fit an external mic, second picture is fitted and screwed in.

1682962447339.png

Attachments

• Android.jpg
    Android.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom