Question For Sparkies

flying haggis

Car
CLS shooting brake, SWMBO has B class
Just one for the generally interested in the forum. Check these out.

Very space efficient and quick
not wago's though just a similiar looking connector. I think wago now actually might produce something similiar, and they now do a click together linkable single connector so you can have as many side by side connectors as you want

geoffus

Car
E250 AMG Sport Convertible, B200, Yamaha YZF R1.
I may be old fashioned but I would be using this to extend the wiring

I must have used hundreds, they can be fiddly but guaranteed a tight connection, so fit and forget.

flying haggis

Car
CLS shooting brake, SWMBO has B class

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
FWIW, standard round junction boxes with an adequate amps rating are what I Have used in the past. I have a thing about flexible plastics as I keep imagining them catching fire.

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
FWIW, standard round junction boxes with an adequate amps rating are what I Have used in the past. I have a thing about flexible plastics as I keep imagining them catching fire.

the standard round junction boxes are not as good - the terminals do loosen over time (due to heat cycles in the wires).

wagos have a positive tension built in and are rated (within certain enclosures) as maintenance free in BS7671.

Round junctions are not…..

yes people have used them for years, but it doesn’t mean they are the best option these days.

plastics won’t just catch fire, it would need maybe arcing, which is more likely in loose terminals in a round junction (which are made of plastic as well these days).

(NAPIT registered sparkie 😎)

geoffus

Car
E250 AMG Sport Convertible, B200, Yamaha YZF R1.
he standard round junction boxes are not as good - the terminals do loosen over time (due to heat cycles in the wires).
I beg to differ, my terminals have never come loose, and “heat cycles in the wires”?
We are talking a lighting circuit here with a 20a connector box.
How many heat cycles will you get with 1.00 mm cable and a low 5a circuit ?
Also time served electrician.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
I extended a mains wire last year. Had not seen Wago connectors before but bought a box of connectors and the enclosure. Very simple and easy to do, I have now bought some of the smaller ones to keep in my collection an would not go back to terminal connectors if I can help it.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano, 651 2014. W211 646 (for a short while)
Screw connectors have been used in industry for many years. The greatest issue would be from overtightening.

Be sure you've enough terminals to cater, the ceiling rose may be using up to 4, including the earth.
But sometimes an additional connector can be squeezed in.
But you mention one in and one out so still possibly 4.

The switched live return can confuse as often it's black. Regs say 70% of the exposed core should be colour sleeved but that's more often ignored. Coloured tape would do.

Lighting can be wired in 1.5mm, I often did for the little extra £'s as the technical advantages are significant. I would extend with that size unless you're sure the cct is wired in 1mm.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
the standard round junction boxes are not as good - the terminals do loosen over time (due to heat cycles in the wires).

wagos have a positive tension built in and are rated (within certain enclosures) as maintenance free in BS7671.

Round junctions are not…..

(NAPIT registered sparkie 😎)

I beg to differ, my terminals have never come loose, and “heat cycles in the wires”?
We are talking a lighting circuit here with a 20a connector box.
How many heat cycles will you get with 1.00 mm cable and a low 5a circuit ?
Also time served electrician.
Never trust an expert :rolleyes:

A twist of the wire and a bit of insulation tape has served me well... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom