Question For Sparkies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Hi guys,

I wish to move a ceiling light on my landing across approx 1 meter. After going up in the loft and removing the floor panels I can locate the light from above which has 2x Grey cabling going into/out of it. The wiring is tight so I cant simply grag it over/move it along so I will need some of the following:

However, what is the best method to connect this to the exisiting cabling once I have remove the exisiting light? I guess I need some type of junction box like so:

Is this all I need? its up in the loft surrounded by Insulantion which is approx 10 years old so it should be fireproof + the house was built in 1990. Am I fine to do this myself or do I need to get it signed off these days?

Cheers in advance!

Is it 2 wayed from somewhere else, maybe downstairs? Wagos will be fine, not included with that junc box. If it is 2 wayed be vidulent on the ins and out of the cabling, tricky them 2 ways.

Cheers for confirming :)

Do it correctly as above. But, perhaps better not to admit to have changed any wiring if moving house in the future. Can of worms could be opened.

Number one son bought a house a few years ago with the ground floor needing improvement. We remodelled to include kitchen/diner & utility room. Some rewiring was necessary but our discoveries of the existing wiring revealed shocking modifications carried out by previous owner(s). We found instead of junction boxes that joints had simply been made by twisting wire together & wrapping with a bit of insulation tape.

I'm not "qualified" to sign off electrics but I know that I left that property safe, much safer than it was before.

Cheers for the replies, always better to get confirmation before you start!

Looks like like you have the answer now, we have electricians over at our house tomorrow finishing off some work so I can ask him any more questions if you get stuck? Just update the thread :) good luck!

Cheers, it should be very basic and easy to do, just wanted to check with the masses before I start. :thumb:

It does not need a 'competent person' to notify BC as it's not a new circuit.
It does not even need a minor works cert as you are not adding additional light fittings (load) to an existing circuit.
At best you are adding a metre of cable to the existing circuit and the increased resistance, as such, is very minor

Is this all I need?
As others have mentioned, the Wago 224 series connectors aren’t included with the boxes, so you need to source them separately. Most stockists only supply in multiples of 100 - which is far too many for your job - but if you can’t find a local source for the limited number you need there’s a seller on Amazon that does small quantities.

As others have mentioned, the Wago 224 series connectors aren’t included with the boxes, so you need to source them separately. Most stockists only supply in multiples of 100 - which is far too many for your job - but if you can’t find a local source for the limited number you need there’s a seller on Amazon that does small quantities.

I thought it did contain the connectors?

1642150923827.png

(one of the photos on the link above?)

Thanks

No connectors included, look at the tech specs, number of items 1.
£1.70 is just for the box.

in terms of wagos- it kind of depends how those two cables are wired as to what ‘size’ wagos you need. (Twos or threes).

Its possible that one cable could be a twin and earth and one could be a 4 core facilitating the switching.

when you open it, take photos of exactly how it’s wired now, so you can replicate later. The colours currently may not make sense to you if they’ve not been sleeved correctly.

plus it may be a mixture of (red/black/green) - (brown/blue/yellow green) or (red/yellow/blue/black) or (brown/black/grey/blue)

it depends on when the current wiring was installed.

ensure you work safely, switch off the MAIN SWITCH not just that circuits cb as that only removes the line conductor, the neutral can still cause you issues, touching a neutral to earth can/will still trip your RCD.

get a good torch/worklight, (make sure it’s charged or you have back up battery).

if you open it up and feel uneasy, get a sparky in. There is no shame, and a house fire for the cost of 30-50 wouldn’t be a saving.

What's wrong with using a standard round junction box. My loft is full of them.

Is the advantage of Wago connectors that they are considered permanent and maintenance free, therefore there is no requirement for maintenance access as there would be for screw connections ?

Is the advantage of Wago connectors that they are considered permanent and maintenance free, therefore there is no requirement for maintenance access as there would be for screw connections ?

Just looked, only £1.59 aswell! - ill go down that route, cheers!

Infact, whats actually wrong with one of these:

Last edited:
Why not just use the existing ceiling rose, place it inside the attic and then run a new cable from there to a new celing rose. The cable you will use will be the cable you see coming out of the rose to the lamp fitting.

I'm not a qualified sparky but that's what I've been using when replacing (lots of) fluorescent tubes with LED strips (the LED units are much slimmer and don't have internal connector blocks that will take 2, 3 or even 4 twin & earth cables). As already suggested take detailed photos of how the wiring is connected to the existing light fitting before you touch anything, replicate that exactly with a junction box, then run a short cable from that to your new fitting. I can highly recommend this rechargeable light from Screwfix for working in lofts etc. - wish I'd bought one ages ago!

Nothing wrong with standard connectors. The answer to your question for sparkies is speed. Wagos are way quicker 😂.

Your point about maintenance is also true .... But how many people periodically check all their screw connections!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom