Question For Sparkies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just one for the generally interested in the forum. Check these out.

Very space efficient and quick

Just one for the generally interested in the forum. Check these out.

Very space efficient and quick
not wago's though just a similiar looking connector. I think wago now actually might produce something similiar, and they now do a click together linkable single connector so you can have as many side by side connectors as you want

If you getting wagos spend the extra 20p and get the demountable ones, just incase you get the wrong live :)

I may be old fashioned but I would be using this to extend the wiring

I must have used hundreds, they can be fiddly but guaranteed a tight connection, so fit and forget.

FWIW, standard round junction boxes with an adequate amps rating are what I Have used in the past. I have a thing about flexible plastics as I keep imagining them catching fire.

FWIW, standard round junction boxes with an adequate amps rating are what I Have used in the past. I have a thing about flexible plastics as I keep imagining them catching fire.

the standard round junction boxes are not as good - the terminals do loosen over time (due to heat cycles in the wires).

wagos have a positive tension built in and are rated (within certain enclosures) as maintenance free in BS7671.

Round junctions are not…..

yes people have used them for years, but it doesn’t mean they are the best option these days.

plastics won’t just catch fire, it would need maybe arcing, which is more likely in loose terminals in a round junction (which are made of plastic as well these days).

(NAPIT registered sparkie 😎)

he standard round junction boxes are not as good - the terminals do loosen over time (due to heat cycles in the wires).
I beg to differ, my terminals have never come loose, and “heat cycles in the wires”?
We are talking a lighting circuit here with a 20a connector box.
How many heat cycles will you get with 1.00 mm cable and a low 5a circuit ?
Also time served electrician.

I extended a mains wire last year. Had not seen Wago connectors before but bought a box of connectors and the enclosure. Very simple and easy to do, I have now bought some of the smaller ones to keep in my collection an would not go back to terminal connectors if I can help it.

Screw connectors have been used in industry for many years. The greatest issue would be from overtightening.

Be sure you've enough terminals to cater, the ceiling rose may be using up to 4, including the earth.
But sometimes an additional connector can be squeezed in.
But you mention one in and one out so still possibly 4.

The switched live return can confuse as often it's black. Regs say 70% of the exposed core should be colour sleeved but that's more often ignored. Coloured tape would do.

Lighting can be wired in 1.5mm, I often did for the little extra £'s as the technical advantages are significant. I would extend with that size unless you're sure the cct is wired in 1mm.

the standard round junction boxes are not as good - the terminals do loosen over time (due to heat cycles in the wires).

wagos have a positive tension built in and are rated (within certain enclosures) as maintenance free in BS7671.

Round junctions are not…..

(NAPIT registered sparkie 😎)

I beg to differ, my terminals have never come loose, and “heat cycles in the wires”?
We are talking a lighting circuit here with a 20a connector box.
How many heat cycles will you get with 1.00 mm cable and a low 5a circuit ?
Also time served electrician.
Never trust an expert :rolleyes:

A twist of the wire and a bit of insulation tape has served me well... ;)

I've just wired lighting into my chicken house.

Your point about maintenance is also true .... But how many people periodically check all their screw connections!
Bought/took over current house from swmbo grandad. There were 2 electric heaters in the property. On plugging them in I noted that the plugs got hot. Queried this with an electrician mate & he told me to check the screws in the plugs. Sure enough the screws needed tightening.

Bought/took over current house from swmbo grandad. There were 2 electric heaters in the property. On plugging them in I noted that the plugs got hot. Queried this with an electrician mate & he told me to check the screws in the plugs. Sure enough the screws needed tightening.
And did that solve the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom