Question from a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EddieWoodward

Car
W115 220D
Hi All,

I'm a new member and new owner of a 1971 W115 220D. It came to me as a non runner,and on stripping the engine it has thrown No.1 big end cap and mashed the con rod.The front cam carrier has also been snapped in the shock.

I have been offered a good complete 300D form a W123,and my question is,will it fit without any really big issues,or is it too much work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ed

THE W115 had the OM 615/616 4cylinder and OM617 5 cylinder engines fitted and the later W123 was also fitted with this 5 cylinder OM617 engine. Both had front subframes but usually what trips people up are different engine/gearbox mounts flywheels and sumps. I'm sure this transplant will have been documented somewhere- certainly would appear to be do-able. the devil as always is in the detail.
Personally speaking engine transplants with engines from different generations tend to be fraught even if they fit on paper . Its simpler to look for a contemporary same engine replacement in the shape of a rebuild.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Graeme,that sounds promising. My concerns were with the sump from the W123 fitting in the W115 subframe. I would also need to find out if the clutch and flywheel were interchangeable,as the 300d comes with neither. If i could locate the engine parts i need i would be happy to rebuild the cars own engine,but no luck finding conrods so far.
Thanks again
Ed

If (and I suspect they are) the engine internals are the same, even if flywheel/clutch and/or sump issues prevent fitting - you have at least five replacement con rods.
Haynes manual for W123 covers diesels I think and if typical of the period, have extensive data on con rod and bearing dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom