Question re using mobile phone as a camera

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Gollom, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Sounds a bit off-the-wall question, but when I think about it there is probably a number of people thinking the same...

I've recently changed my phone to a Huawei P20 Pro and the camera is totally awesome!! I'd like to use it a lot more, especially during my forthcoming holiday to Portugal. Trouble is I am somewhat clumsy/cack -handed (and getting worse as I get older which is a bit worrying!) so holding the phone in the same way I would a conventional camera does not come naturally and I am always worried about dropping it - especially given the value of it!

I'm sure others have the same issue and there must be something out there I could use? Some kind of adaptor? I did think a selfie stick which would help, but not exactly an elegant solution!

Anybody? Ideas? And if there is nothing out there, may be an opportunity for some budding inventor!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    Gollom likes this.
  3. moonloops

moonloops Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
  4. alecmascot

alecmascot Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C220 CDI 57 plate
  5. MancMike

MancMike Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C280 Elegance
    Of course there is, everything you can possibly imagine, including full gimbals, ring flashes, video lights, etc already exists and is mass market on eBay and Amazon. You can get stick on wide-angle and fish-eye lenses, etc.

handheld phone holder | eBay

Enjoy browsing, you'll find something perfect for you.

6. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    With decent small digital cameras costing less than 10% of the price of a new phone get one of those. Bit of a pig to use as a phone but no great shakes if you drop it overboard. :)

RonFleet and Ted like this.
  7. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
  8. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    It's a sign of the times. 'Bloody hell, I have no signal on my £800 phone...but it will take a nice selfie in crystal clear HD.'
    Not Dissing the technology but it is all a bit weird.
    I'm not that old :rolleyes: but if was enjoying a nice meal with my girlfriend some years ago and the bloke on the next table was taking a photo of his prawn cocktail starter he would be classed as an oddball.

Think of it , going back a bit, if everyone in your local pub turned up with a 35mm SLR camera hanging about their necks and then during the evening proceeded to take pictures of all sorts of random $hit that was going on in the pub you would have thought they were mad.

REALLY pushing it ...if Norman from next door turned up to the pub with a his full size VCR camera on his shoulder and recorded his brother and his brothers ex girlfriend slapping the crap out of each other, instead of putting the camera down and intervening he just kept on recording until his brother was reduced to a bloody mess on the floor, you would have thought you had entered into the world of madness.

RonFleet and E63AMG like this.
  9. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Plenty of people don't want to carry another device and are quite happy with the results and convenience they get from their phone.

The current phones are being a bit overhyped as cameras. But the reality is that may users of these devices don't really need anything more capable - and the phones have enough computing power to to massage the output from their camera sensors to hide their deficiencies and extend their apparent usability.

The 'proper' cameras will usually do a better job if well used - but the phones often produce reasonable images for sharing and small prints and for books. And some of the phone users have a real knack for gettiing attractive results from their phones.

I see phones - as being the modern equivalent of the old 110 or 126 cameras. In their day for a lot of people these were good enough. A phone with it's limited lens and sensor and supporting mechanisms (aperture, shutter) backed by plenty of software smarts isn't as good as the likes of Samsung, or Apple, or Huawei would have you think. But the marketing hype and exaggeration don't change the fundamental that the technology has reached that threshold where in many situations it is quite good enough.

RonFleet, st13phil, Ted and 1 other person like this.
  10. artyman

artyman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    I feel that phone cameras are fine for the "this is us down the pub" type of shots, but no good for proper photography for that I use my DSLR, apart from which shooting birds with one would be hopeless. I rarely use the function on mine as I find it difficult to use and the shutter lag is awful.

st13phil likes this.
  11. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Diamond White W212 E63 Biturbo with Night Package / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    ^ I’m in agreement with both the above posts.

Years ago I used to use Canon 35mm SLR’s for all my photography, then added a compact auto as a “walking around” camera - which I ended up using as much, if not more, than the SLR. The best camera is the one you have with you, as the saying goes.

Then came digital. I started with a Canon G2 (which with a 1GB micro drive cost as much as a decent 35mm SLR, but with much less image capability) and have since gone through a large number of small sensor compacts & a couple of bridge cameras.

Ultimately I have returned to the SLR - digital this time - because I missed the image quality and ability to control the shot, and for a “walking around” camera I use my iPhone 8 Plus.

Frankly, for most purposes the phone produces surprisingly good images. Yes, it relies on lots of processing to achieve that and in more difficult conditions it doesn’t have the capability of the better “pro” compacts, but I always have it with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chesterpiglet likes this.
  12. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    I own a Canon SLR, only use it for the Zoom lense now.

This was taken with my Google Pixel 2 phone, the quality is staggering (this was reduced in quality to get it on imgur photo hosting). Just been to Spain for the week and didnt bother with any proper Camera's. All automatically uploaded to my Google account so available on my PC before its even powered up, no more messing around with SD cards.

[​IMG]

Gollom likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
  14. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK & E class
    Taken with my iPhone X yesterday. (Image quality reduced by hosting site)

[​IMG]

mercmancdi, pmcgsmurf and Gollom like this.
  15. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    I find with the right type of case they can be easier to hold ie less chance of dropping it.

Gollom likes this.
  16. mercmancdi

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    Super camera on I phone x , don’t think the x can be much improved on , except it’s appple ,,,

clk320x likes this.
  17. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK & E class
    Well, my iPhone XS Max will be here Friday and it claims to have an upgraded camera! :)

mercmancdi likes this.
  18. mercmancdi

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    Never seen the xs max yet , will be super I am sure
    But I am tempted to change from Apple.

clk320x likes this.
  19. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK & E class
    Pre-orders are delivering on Friday.

I’m in love with the colour haha
    [​IMG]

20. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E250 CDI, W168 A160
    015457C1-2C06-4298-82B1-BED962BE85A2.jpeg 6D1C21C9-FFE0-43E5-B6BE-0FBB0052572E.jpeg For selfies, near distance (max 3m), panoramic outdoor photography with good lightning and screen only viewing, phone cams are fine and I’m using my iphone 8 a lot in such purposes but a memorabilia type photo which will be printed for an album or for framing I take with my DSLR Canon. Phone camera can’t do this ^