Question sl500 no horn no left xenon right indicator side light windscreen jets after

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samw124

Car
W124 300E
Hi guys

my friend recently got a sl500 2005 (late 05) because he finally wanted to have a luxury car in his life for the first time after many years of working hard and not having enough to treat himself.

he did not use the car for 3 weeks here in London and it rained heavily and a family member washed it for him with jet wash.

when he came to use the car it started up but the following wan not and still is not working after 1 week of use:
left xenon
right indicator
right side light (the one when you flash at people dont know correct name, small bulb)
horn
windscreen washer jet (but wiper arm does work)
have to come very close to the door to unlock the car as well.

SO FAR I HAVE:
checked passenger side footwell/sill and there is no water at all, not a hint of water, same for the driver's side sill (right hand drive car)

the water in the boot drops onto the boot carpet that is directly above the Battery Control Module BCM, but could not feel any water at all on the BCM

STAR Diagnostics shows none of the above faults but showed the following faults:
check wake-up procedure of control module A7/3n1 SBC control unit.

fault with Parktronic even though ut works perfectly.

Specified-Actual configuration of interior CAN bus result: F

The poor guy only just bought the car and has not got the money to take it to a main dealer who have already told him that they will need to keep the car for a day or two at approx £120 per hour.

We have replaced the battery in the trunk with an original Mercedes one and checked all relevant fuses under the hood (bonnet). Also ordered a relay for the horn.

I stripped the sides of the trunk and found water on the right side (the battery side). No water on the left side where several control units lay. i found that the trunk seal is leaking from the right side and this will be replaced.

however what of the crazy electrical issues? do all these components get controlled by one control unit?

please help if you have some experience with this. I am only trying to be helpful towards my friend, not getting paid for it.

Thank you in advance!

Update
Found a lot of water gathered at the bottom of the drainage channel being the battery. About 3 inches in height just sitting there. Thinking drain blocked. However no water entered the footwell. I added more water just to test and the passenger footwell/sill is dry.

Took out passenger SAM.
At the bottom of the compartment in which the SAM is situated I can see white marks. This is proof of water having been there right?

One member I hope reads this post is Television. From his posts his experience is second to none in the electronics area.

One member I hope reads this post is Television. From his posts his experience is second to none in the electronics area.

Television (Malcolm) was banned here about 6 years ago.

Hope your friend gets it sorted. Hindsight is a wonderful thing ... the moral of the story is obviously not to use a jetwash on a convertible which is chock-full of complex electronics!

You need deep pockets with R230 ownership and it doesn't seem like your friend is prepared for this.

Update
Found a lot of water gathered at the bottom of the drainage channel being the battery. About 3 inches in height just sitting there. Thinking drain blocked. However no water entered the footwell. I added more water just to test and the passenger footwell/sill is dry.

Took out passenger SAM.
At the bottom of the compartment in which the SAM is situated I can see white marks. This is proof of water having been there right?

You will need to visit the "other" forum to get Malcolm's help.

Neil

Thanks for the replies guys..
Banned? What a pity!
The thing is the r230 has become quite cheap but as we know the parts and diagnostics are still v expensive!

Just trying to help my friend as he doesn't have any experience and can't afford the repair as he just put down his savings.. Pity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom