Question to w222 S Class with pan roof owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjcodex

Car
S350 W222 SL55 AMG
Hey folks

i have recently bought an S350 on 66 plate which has a pan roof.

long story short, one of the pan roof seals was loose so was replaced under warranty By supplying Mercedes dealer. the works require the removal of the roof and reinstall (Just the bit that moves)

since then, i am detecting noise (let’s call it wind for sake of argument) at top of windscreen and front doors starting at 65mph, and getting progressively louder, I must be clear - it is not horrendous, but a truly cannot remember whether it was there before or whether it is new

the question - is this just normal noise based on your own experience?

any input welcome - particularly from those with same car and roof. Or for that matter with any who may have an insight.

the Mercedes dealership have attempted to adjust the position of the roof but this has made no difference at all.

car remains virtually silent below above speeds.

thanks!

James

A pano or sun roof should not make any noise when it’s closed.

This is nothing brand or model specific.

The pano roof in my c class is silent, I would blinking well hope the same would be true of an s class

To be fair it is more nuanced than that,

the sound is not significant and joy at high speeds and does not sound like it is coming from the roof itself - more the top of the doors.

the issue is that the car is so quiet it may be exaggerating what is normal sound at higher speeds.

j

A good way to test whether this is something that has been impacted by the roof change or not is to use some tape over the joins and seals in specific places, then go out for a run and see if the noise persists.

Say, the noise disappears when you have tape over the top of the doors - it probably wasn't anything to do with the work done.

If the noise disappears when you put tape over the pano-roof seal then it could be due to the installation.

@jjcodex I have a 2015 C class with pano roof. I wasn't able to test on motorway during test drive, but after purchase, I did notice a small amount of wind noise from tops of side windows/top edge of windscreen at motorway speeds, other than that the car is quiet (for a small saloon) - it wasn't a deal breaker but...

Anyway, did my research, found out there was a Technical Service Bulletin from MB in Germany about this problem for C classes. Went back to supplying dealer (mentioned the issue), told them about the TSB, and they looked it up, and were surprised as they never heard of the TSB before.

Anyway, the TSB involved replacing both side windows with acoustic glass (they have two sheets of glass stuck together when you look at the window from the side), and the parts and labour were free of charge for me (I assume the dealer gets reimbursed by MB UK), and the wind noise from the tops of the windows/edge of windscreen at motorway speeds, disappeared!

HTH

Hey Raspy

sorry for long wait for reply - thanks for the feedback - I did read similar for the c classes but I am not sure that his extends to the S class.

since the above post I managed to test drive another s class from my local dealer and to be fair it was similar to mine so I concluded that it was perhaps me being slighhtly over sensitive.

We did tape up the seals and to be fair it made no difference though I am conscious that air likely passes through the side channels from bottom of windscreen up.

regards

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom