Questions for the dealer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lh49

Car
C43 Coupe W205
It's now only two unbearable days until I pick up my brand new mercedes from the dealer. Given I last bought a car 12 years ago I am most definitely a little behind the new fangled times. Apologies if this is elsewhere (I couldn't find) but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on Mercedes-specific things to ask the dealer when I go to collect - perhaps something you wish you'd asked in the past?

While I know a lot of this stuff will be done on the hand over, I would like to make sure I don't miss anything on the day. So far I have:

- Mercedes me / online stuff (set up, how on earth it works)
- service plan options / discounts???
- some clandestine enquires about tyres ( as its a c43)
- running in (seen a lot of conflicting info)
- from reading other posts I definitely need teaching about keyless go security

Any more? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely get Mercedes Me set up whilst at the dealer. You can learn how to use it later.

Enjoy your new car :thumb:

Welcome, nice car.

Mercedes Me - get that set up while at the dealers. It is a useful app.
Wheels & Tyres insurance - we took that out and one incident where two tyres were damaged recovered the cost of the premium.
Scratch & Dent insurance - we took that too, not needed it yet though.
Gardex Paint Protection - not worth the money in my view.
Gap Insurance - you're call obviously. On a new car I'd have it. Our recent purchase was an approved used, so didn't take this up.
Service Plan - we've taken this out on our latest purchase. Not bothered in the past because I used to have access to a very high quality vehicle workshop. Since retiring that's no longer an option.
Running In - I just take it easy for the first tank full (500 miles). Drive to the speed limit, but avoid if possible harsh acceleration, braking and cornering. For the second tankful, I work the car a bit more, firmer on the brakes and the loud pedal, but avoid max revs. After that pretty much done.
Keyless Go - can't be disabled by any menu I've come across yet. The key can be switched off by pressing the lock button twice within 2-seconds. We're considering putting the keys in a tin box when we're home. It has its moments, but overall I think Keyless Go was a solution looking for problem.

Finally, enjoy your new car.

^^^ thanks all, that's really helpful... Cheers

If you're going for GAP insurance then main dealers are sometimes expensive.

Try: https://www.ala.co.uk

ALA also provide Key & alloy insurance if you so wish.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your beautiful new MB. Please keep this thread updated. Enjoy.

Ant.

Regarding GAP insurance it's worth checking with car insurance companies.

I'm with Roland Smith the police brokers, car insurance is via RSA and if a new car is written off in the first 2 years the car is replaced with a brand new one regardless of fault.

The premiums are also very competitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be careful with wheel insurance, if you want it, then make sure your wheels are covered as most don't cover diamond cut alloys.

Update: Thanks for the advice above, picked up the car a few days ago but sods law came down with a bug just after (not blaming the car!) so it frustratingly sits on the drive. Will post some pics and thoughts next week once I actually get to drive the thing. However, observations from the pickup:

Mercedesme was a right pain to get set up even while at the dealer... In the end had to phone up the hotline and some nice German guy sorted it all out immediately. Something about identify validation which the dealer did but it didn't accept.. Took a fair while to sort it

Self Parking - they wouldn't show me! Said to spend a bit of time getting used to it so I didn't crash it into a wall if had to take over. Now normally I'd be screaming to say it's my car. But TBH was pretty tired and not feeling great so was actually probably for the best! Will go back next week for a demo

The worst but was not actually to do with merc but my insurer (elephant). I'd been through all the details with them prior to picking up the car but as I didn't have the reg I had to call back to confirm. What should have been a 2 min call turned into a 2 hour nightmare as they lost all the details, I got cut off constantly, the guy I was dealing with went home so I had to start again.... Was awful.

Anyway, all sorted now thanks for all the tips

Update: Thanks for the advice above, picked up the car a few days ago but sods law came down with a bug just after (not blaming the car!) so it frustratingly sits on the drive. Will post some pics and thoughts next week once I actually get to drive the thing. However, observations from the pickup:

Mercedesme was a right pain to get set up even while at the dealer... In the end had to phone up the hotline and some nice German guy sorted it all out immediately. Something about identify validation which the dealer did but it didn't accept.. Took a fair while to sort it

Self Parking - they wouldn't show me! Said to spend a bit of time getting used to it so I didn't crash it into a wall if had to take over. Now normally I'd be screaming to say it's my car. But TBH was pretty tired and not feeling great so was actually probably for the best! Will go back next week for a demo

The worst but was not actually to do with merc but my insurer (elephant). I'd been through all the details with them prior to picking up the car but as I didn't have the reg I had to call back to confirm. What should have been a 2 min call turned into a 2 hour nightmare as they lost all the details, I got cut off constantly, the guy I was dealing with went home so I had to start again.... Was awful.

Anyway, all sorted now thanks for all the tips

Sounds like a right ordeal! Looking forward to seeing the pictures though :D

A few tips from me, like you I didn't know much about picking a new car up nowadays.
Keyless Go: for when you're out and about with the car either keep the key in a jamming pouch or double press the lock button on the key as suggested (I do the former by default and have a pouch for each key, one with my wife).
Mercedes insurance was very competitive giving me 6 months European cover, very low excess and new car replacement for less than Saga. So, also, no need separate GAP insurance.
Put time aside to learn about your car from the manual - you'll be surprised what useful features there are. On my car some info was only available in the manual in COMAND.
If you want internet access check your phone's tethering works before you take it to the car. I don't like the design (they could have used two WLAN interfaces and bridged them rather than using Bluetooth to your phone which drastically reduces the available bandwidth to the car)
If you're into wanting speed/safety camera POIs on your display, check your car can read custom POIs* and then subscribe to a suitable provider. *Save a position or POI to an inserted SD card, then on a computer edit an entry or add one in the same format and then see of the car can read it correctly.
The "can't wait" excitement leading up to pickup of a new Mercedes was tantalising for me too
All the best with your new car!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom