Questions on Head Gasket installation (1999 SLK 200)

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Jet Wrench, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Jet Wrench

Jet Wrench New Member

Car:
    1999 SLK 200 Manual 5 spd
    First, thanks for having me on your forum. I'm a Yank, working in Sicily, Italy, driving a MB! (Go figure!) I've already got the head removed without issue. I found the head gasket leaking at the back of the head, no codes, no water in the oil and no signs of steam/water in the exhaust. The pistons, valves, timing chain and cam gears are in very good shape. Could be age or not correctly servicing the coolant system with the correct coolant? I've read that the wrong coolant can compromise the head gasket. I have checked the head for warp, the deck is true. I am on the fence about getting it skimmed at a machine shop (increased compression and the chance the head bolts will bottom out), suggestions appreciated. I'm also need to know if the head bolts need to be installed "wet" (sealant on threads). I'm not sure if the bolts pass through a water jacket. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    On a 1999 SLK you will have a M111 engine. These are known for blowing their CHG. I would advise getting it skimmmed and leak checked as they can have weak castings. afaik the CHG bolts don't pass through any water passages. You should use new CH bolts as these are stretch bolts and the old ones may well be out of tolerance. [ no threadlocker required as they come ready to fit] Use either a proper MB head gasket or one made by Victor Reinz [oem to merc] lots of info and tips on their site.
    Catalog - VICTOR REINZ

3. OP
    OP
    Jet Wrench

Jet Wrench New Member

Car:
    1999 SLK 200 Manual 5 spd
    Head Gasket

Thanks Grober! I have a new OEM gasket set, new head bolts. I understand the stretch on the used bolts. I will get the head skimmed per your suggestion. Cheers!