Questions, questions…😎😎

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, I’m a sceptic. I am well aware that climate change has been accelerated by us humans. However, it is also well known that ultimately, natural climate change will occur and there ain’t nothing stopping that. We are going to have another ice age one day.

My gripe does indeed relate to countries like China. Wtf should we be shafted, when they are currently INCREASING their emissions??

Typical politicians just push the food around the plate. It’s like plastic. Wtf hasn’t it been banned by now if it’s so bad for the planet?

So f@ck it, life’s too short

OK, I’m a sceptic. I am well aware that climate change has been accelerated by us humans. However, it is also well known that ultimately, natural climate change will occur and there ain’t nothing stopping that. We are going to have another ice age one day.

My gripe does indeed relate to countries like China. Wtf should we be shafted, when they are currently INCREASING their emissions??

Typical politicians just push the food around the plate. It’s like plastic. Wtf hasn’t it been banned by now if it’s so bad for the planet?

So f@ck it, life’s too short
Sounds like you and China share the same philosophy.

Perhaps, but my (and the UKs) emissions are a drop in the ocean compared to China’s.

I’ll sit up and listen when they stop fudging it. Ban plastic bags, NOW! Same with boilers. Fossil fuel boilers are going to be banned. Oh no, we’re not ready, let’s push the ban back 5 years.

Basically they haven’t got a clue what they’re doing or why they’re doing it

What’s with the obsession with China?

The problem with blaming China and India for their CO2 emissions is that a very large chunk of them are down to us. By getting practically everything made in China & India, we are simply off-shoring the problem. We can't exactly sit surrounded by our made-in-China goodness and not take responsibility for the impact of that manufacturing process.

I've said it before, I have no problem with China taking advantage of the rest of the world wanting to use them as cheap labour. I do have a problem with the fact most of the world is doing it. We all want our cheap shit, so market forces have simply done what they do and ended up giving China a massive chunk of the manufacturing market for the entire planet - as I say, can't blame them for that.

I challenge anyone to take a look round them and NOT find many, many things that are made in China. It seems to me that they have pretty much won at capitalism, which seems ironic for a supposedly communist state.

As for what the CCP get up to, that's a whole other topic and there's a point to be made that by funding China the way the West has, we have to carry some of the burden of that too.

China is now so influential it would be very, very hard to do anything significant about their position - have to hope they will listen to some enlightened self-interest.

To what extent does the heat generated during the creation of CO2 during the burning of fossil fuels contribute to the warming of the planet relative to the actual 'greenhouse' effect created by CO2 in the atmosphere?
To take a car as an example, 2/3 of its fuel energy is rejected as heat straight away via the exhaust and cooling systems. Further frictions create more heat. If only the associated CO2 was released without the heat, would the atmosphere be less warm - and by how much?

To what extent does the heat generated during the creation of CO2 during the burning of fossil fuels contribute to the warming of the planet relative to the actual 'greenhouse' effect created by CO2 in the atmosphere?
To take a car as an example, 2/3 of its fuel energy is rejected as heat straight away via the exhaust and cooling systems. Further frictions create more heat. If only the associated CO2 was released without the heat, would the atmosphere be less warm - and by how much?

Interesting question. My gut feeling is that the sun's energy is far more powerful than whatever heat cars generate, and even a tiny increase in the amount that gets through the atmosphere will be far more significant. But I don't know.

Interesting question. My gut feeling is that the sun's energy is far more powerful than whatever heat cars generate, and even a tiny increase in the amount that gets through the atmosphere will be far more significant. But I don't know.
It might be more than we realise. Think of the power used to punt a 2 ton car up the road. Twice that again is squandered as heat from the engine alone.
I once had to drive an old Mercedes pickup with the 'doghouse' engine cover removed. The engine was only capable of 85hp or so but the heat in the cabin from just the radiator was nigh on unbearable even with the windows open.

China is now so influential it would be very, very hard to do anything significant about their position - have to hope they will listen to some enlightened self-interest.
China is an authoritarian regime. History teaches us authoritarian regimes always fail.

Does it? I would say that history teaches us that all regimes come to an end.
Yes history teaches us authoritarian regimes always fail. The number of people living under democratic regimes has increased 4 fold in the last 50 years.

Yes history teaches us authoritarian regimes always fail. The number of people living under democratic regimes has increased 4 fold in the last 50 years.

And that's 'always'?

The case in point is China. A country now deploying a social credit system facilitated by technology. Unsustainable.

What about Saudi Arabia? Brunei? North Korea? Iran? Belarus? Etc.

And a percentage of them deny what happened back then.
What I find somewhat terrifying is that there are quite a lot of folk who seem to genuinely believe the earth is flat......
It is an interesting question isn't it!

Some figures I found the other day, global annual energy use for transportation is about 110 quads (quadrillion BTU) which is about 32237819166666 kWh I think it's a fair assumption that nearly all of it ends up as heat.

Hourly solar energy to the surface of the earth is about 119444444444444 kWh, which gives 1.04 x 10^18 kWh per annum.

So, solar input to the planet is about 32000 x as much as burning the fuel we use ...which suggests the heat input to the 'system' from transportation is probably insignificant.

What about Saudi Arabia? Brunei? North Korea? Iran? Belarus? Etc.
Do these countries have functioning social credit systems like China which reward or punish any interactions they have visibility of? If they do then in time they will fail.

Do these countries have functioning social credit systems like China which reward or punish any interactions they have visibility of? If they do then in time they will fail.

'In time'?

That's a statement that can't be disproven. Chomsky calls it 'nonsensical sentence'.

Question. Will these forums become redundant when we’re all driving around in EVs? 🤷‍♂️
No; people will be complaining about the exploitation of people and land to harvest elements for their batteries in Africa; realising that the un-recyclable used battery mountain is ludicrously large; realising that the overall CO2 emissions from an EV car over its life are little different from an efficient ICE car; realising that the move to EV cars actually makes very little difference to climate change; bemoaning the lack of charging infrastructure STILL; cursing the government who will be taxing EV cars to compensate for lost ICE car tax; having to deal with increased electricity charges due to the hugely increased electricity demands from EV cars and the consequent inability of the grid to supply enough power for everyone's EV cars, partly due to over reliance on unpredictable renewables. Maybe? Maybe not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom