Queuing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E's Are Good

Car
2011 C250 Sport estate
Just to carry on from a few posts about filtering, lane disipline etc.

You really, possibly have to know the area for this one.

Was in the work van for this little incident, but would have done the same in the car, maybe with a different response from the upset motorist I will finally come to.

Tyne Bridge, northbound, coming from Gateshead. Central motorway closed at the Swan House roundabout so all vehicles had to exit up to the roundabout instead of straight on.

At the Gateshead side of the bridge there are several sets of traffic lights, junctions and lane changing requirements. The tail back was for a few miles. When actually getting past the lights and in sight of the bridge, there was nothing in the right lane (four lanes two north, two south) which equated to a few hundred yards less traffic behind.

Now. Was I wrong (I don't think so) to use the last remaining yards to filter in? I didn't fly along, in second, tick over about 5 or 6 mph.

Or should I have increased the tailback by hogging an empty lane earlier?

The disturbingly irate guy in the BM I eventually filtered in front of, despite having family in the car was very verbal and gesticulating wildly. Surely not good for the heart.

Or should I have just taken the day off?

If you were in a white van totally out of order. :devil:

Anything else is acceptable. :thumb:

It was a white van. But as stated would've done the same in the car. But chuckles anyway. I do tend to drive any vehicle the same.

I don't know that area, but presumably it's the same as a motorway/dual carriageway going down to one lane, say for road works.

I can't understand why many drivers move into the one lane hundreds of yards before the cones, effectively starting the restriction so much earlier. Surely we should use all the available lanes for as long as possible, and then merge in turn? Seems logical to me.........

Malcolm

As you were already in the correct lane, you should have stayed there, IMHO.
You impatiently changed to another lane with the objective of saving a few yards of queue with the intention of pushing your way back into the correct lane. The BM driver possibly saw your actions in his rear view mirror and was rightly miffed at your inconsiderate driving, IMHO.

And IMHO he did nothing wrong. Also, as regards the highway code he did nothing wrong. He also did nothing dangerous.

I don't agree he was "inconsiderate" or "impatient" - that's purely YOUR perception of it. If you're the kind of person that gets angry when someone passes them then I can see why you would think that.

IMHO the problem is yours, not his.

Last edited:
Reading your post suggest you pushed your way in, Correct? As it doesn't seem the BM driver invited you in. I've witnessed a white van man do this before which resulted in him being tw@ted. And do you know what, no one battered an eye lid, me including.

You were NOT wrong. Those who sit in long queues with their holier than thou attitudes probably consist mainly of those who move into the outside lane on much clearer roads about a mile before the right turn they want to make! I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the "other lane" shouldn't be used then why is it there?

The position is different of course if there is a long queue waiting to turn off a two-lane road and someone passes the lot in the hope of filtering in. If they can't get in they will be holding up the traffic that's going straight on. Where two lanes merge into one they should BOTH be used until near the end where the traffic merges in turn. Nobody is unnecessarily held up this way.

Ah! Perhaps that's the answer - tw@t anyone who breaks your rules!

At least the roads would be quieter with all the ragers behind bars . . .

As far as I'm concern anyone who bullies there way into queuing traffic is bang out of order. As for what I witnessed, you didn't receive the entire story of events. Don't jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
If the lane closure/filter is used properly then usually there is no bottleneck! that only results when people want to jump in at the last few inches! If you can see no gap and have to force your way in then i would have abused you too verbally or physically depending on your reaction!:thumb:

Tony.

And IMHO he did nothing wrong. Also, as regards the highway code he did nothing wrong. He also did nothing dangerous.

I don't agree he was "inconsiderate" or "impatient" - that's purely YOUR perception of it. If you're the kind of person that gets angry when someone passes them then I can see why you would think that.

IMHO the problem is yours, not his.

The writer asked for others views on his driving and I gave him mine with all honesty. I don't have a "problem" with what he did but the guy in the BM did. My view is that if many drivers had more patience there would be less accidents and road rage. Mind you, I've only driven in excess of one million miles in the last 46 years with no accidents and no convictions of any sort so what do I know?

As far as mine concern anyone who bullies there way into queuing traffic is bang out of order.
There wouldn't be any need for anyone to "bully" their way into queuing traffic if other drivers showed some consideration.

There are many times when people unfamiliar with an area may find themselves in the wrong lane, particularly when there are long queues well before any road signs. But the "I'm not going to let you in front of me" brigade still insist on refusing entry to the correct lane. So everyone gets upset. I've been there and done that on a two lane road in a city that was new to me where the inside lane that I was on changed to a left turn only lane. I needed to go straight on but it took an Audi R8 driver to eventually let me in after many angry stares and bumper hugging by the preceding couple of dozen vehicles.

So go on, change those lifetime habits and demonstrate a bit of courtesy. Let 'em in - just one at a time though!

The position is different of course if there is a long queue waiting to turn off a two-lane road and someone passes the lot in the hope of filtering in. If they can't get in they will be holding up the traffic that's going straight on. Where two lanes merge into one they should BOTH be used until near the end where the traffic merges in turn. Nobody is unnecessarily held up this way.[/QUOTE]

From my reading of the OP, this exactly what the writer did.
As a matter of road etiquette, it is poor practice.

There wouldn't be any need for anyone to "bully" their way into queuing traffic if other drivers showed some consideration.

There are many times when people unfamiliar with an area may find themselves in the wrong lane, particularly when there are long queues well before any road signs. But the "I'm not going to let you in front of me" brigade still insist on refusing entry to the correct lane. So everyone gets upset. I've been there and done that on a two lane road in a city that was new to me where the inside lane that I was on changed to a left turn only lane. I needed to go straight on but it took an Audi R8 driver to eventually let me in after many angry stares and bumper hugging by the preceding couple of dozen vehicles.

So go on, change those lifetime habits and demonstrate a bit of courtesy. Let 'em in - just one at a time though!

Then 2 wrongs don't make a right and as its the driver coming into the lane has to make the first wrong why not just wait until Mr Consideration comes along.

I do let drivers in, but refuse to be bullied into making that choice. Be patient and wait.

Last edited:
If you want to change lanes, either to the left or the right, you have to wait until there is a safe opportunity to do so. If the driver in the lane you want to join chooses to not create an opening for you thats entirely up to him or her.
Think about this ........ you are in lane 2 on a busy 3 lane motorway. You want to overtake the car in front. Are you one of those who signals and pulls straight into lane 3 forcing traffic there to avoid you ? The correct option is to signal your intention and watch for someone to let you out.
I agree with give and take but those who go down the outside of a queue, possibly for all the right reasons, are seen in this country by most to be queue jumpers and usually cause annoyance.

I like applying some of these rules in pedestrian situations.

Queue at the check out. Silly. Just steam up the outside and barge in at the till. Nobody will object.

Taxi Rank. Glasgow Saturday night. Barge past those sad gits waiting patiently inline.

This is spot-on.

I just cannot understand the mentality of people who don't have the imagination to consider that not everyone lives locally to their own town.

I'm often lost and in the wrong lane and find myself unable to get in the correct lane because of simple minded aggression - It's not always women either!

This is spot-on.

I just cannot understand the mentality of people who don't have the imagination to consider that not everyone lives locally to their own town.

I'm often lost and in the wrong lane and find myself unable to get in the correct lane because of simple minded aggression - It's not always women either!

I totally agree, however, if you read the OP, he was a local and knew the area very well. He just didn't want to wait in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom