Quick AOL Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzComander

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate
Mate has an AOL broadband connection and wants to use Outlook to send and receive emails from his Tiscali email address.

Is this possible, as I know AOL can be a bit funny with people using their dialup to check other emails, especially with Outlook.

AOL must be used to it with their email not being POP3 compliant.

BC,
Just tried to set it up to my hotmail - didnt work.
In the setup bit under accounts in outlook, set up the accnt to http (where hotmail came up an an option to select) and theb enter the URL of the mail box. All was going well, hoorah. wrong.
tried send/recieve all and then was greeted with the news that this connection to hotmail via outlook required a subscription!!!!!!!!!!

Dont know if a Tiscali e-mail addy is any different, but worth a shot just in case.
rob

ROBB, you need a Hotmail subscription account to connect to Hotmail using POP3 whatever client or ISP you have.

BenzC, you should be able to setup Outlook to send and receive emails via Tiscali using the normal account settings and password. AOL will certainly allow POP3 connections (receive mail) from other ISP mail servers but you may find they try to block SMTP (outgoing) mail (part of their 'spam prevention' policy). Suggest you just set up the account in Outlook and see what happens!

Use something like gmail, where you can send and recieve on non-standard ports.

I use AOL and set up outlook to work...got details from web...just google "how to set up outlook to read aol email" or similar.

But to be honest its not much good...prefer to use aol direct...

ROBB, you need a Hotmail subscription account to connect to Hotmail using POP3 whatever client or ISP you have.

pay for e-mail ??? :eek: not for me......
nice to know it all can be made to work!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom