Quick connectors from CTEK charger to Red Push Down positive terminal in engine bay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6GBJ

Car
GLC 43
My R231 is now SORNed until sunnier times. I leave the CTEK trickle charging for extended periods and share it with other cars when they are not doing much. It would be convenient to use the quick connectors with eyelet ends rather than the crocodile clips. The positive terminal is the red plastic push down and twist type to expose a metal connector. How easy or otherwise is it to take the terminal to pieces and fit an eyelet connector? Does anyone have any experience or advice? Many thanks.

A set for each car is the plan. My question is about the red push down terminal and how easy it is to take to bits.

Surely by the time you have fitted terminals to cars and then still need to connect the charger to the pigtails every-time anyway, wouldn't it be easier to simply connect the crocodile clips to the terminals. Your plan would make sense to me if the charging points were inaccesible . I open the bonnet, black goes straight onto the (-)post, push the red thing down, connect the red clip, switch on!

I imagine your pigtails are going to be neatly tucked away so you are also have to extract them from where they are.

Why do you need to take anything to bits?

Why won’t a connector lead to each battery work - just plug the ctek into the lead you want charge the battery for....?

Does your ctek not have a connector block per attached pic?

Attachments

• 2A688382-16AD-4F88-A38F-C0BB07FB3A14.png
    2A688382-16AD-4F88-A38F-C0BB07FB3A14.png
    662.4 KB · Views: 13
You can buy the leads you need for permanent attachment - a set for each car

Have done the same direct to battery terminals on CLK and Ponton. Plug in and switch on.

I have done the same direct to battery terminals on both batteries on my SL, and also on my LR Discovery.

I use them to connect the CTEK and when not charging an automatic battery monitor which connects by blue tooth to my 'phone.

NJSS

I have done the same direct to battery terminals on both batteries on my SL, and also on my LR Discovery.

I use them to connect the CTEK and when not charging an automatic battery monitor which connects by blue tooth to my 'phone.

NJSS
I like the idea of the battery monitor, at what range does the bluetooth work?
The 2 W202's are in the garage on Ctek's, but the SLK lives outside with a 10W solar panel to keep it topped up.
In the summer it is more than adequate to keep it topped up, but I find in winter I need to put a ctek on it now and again, having a battery monitor could save some messing just to check voltage

The BT range of the battery monitor is not great, but as the various cars on battery monitors are on my drive or in garages which I pass close by when arriving at or leaving the house they suffice.

I think the monitors are worthwhile @ less than £20 each, but I have seen precisely the same item advertised for £30+, and would not buy at that price. The software is OK, but not brilliant.

The CETEK monitor at £47.50 is I am sure excellent, but as I wanted to monitor 4 cars & 6 batteries in all the expenditure was IMHO too great.

NJSS

I think you guys are missing the point. The OP is asking how to connect the eyelets to his battery as the terminal looks like this

s-l1600.jpg

I also have the same issue as the OP. I tried undoing the the philips head on the red connector but it does not appear to undo with reasonable force. Rang MB and they said only use the MB charger with crocs --- derrr.

KC

That pic is the jump point under the bonnet - its not meant to be dismantled. The battery is in the boot. I'd connect to the battery. If putting in a permanent connection dont forget to use it to protect the cables if they were to short.

R

Good point Richard, but I was told not to connect direct to the battery, also it says in the manual to connect a charger under the bonnet, apparently it may affect the ecu's if connected direct to battery
Please do not shoot me, only repeating what I was told

kc

Interesting! I can’t really see what the difference is since it’s all big thick wires - u
I suppose it could confuse the car working out the charge rate. I suppose you are charging from near the alternator when under the bonnet - which is where the car normally charges from.

My SL (R230) is connected directly to battery in boot as I wanted to leave the BCM (battery control module) out of it as it has a much more complex battery system then most other cars
-

I use the Mercedes (ctek) charger and will go find the manual now (but I’m happy where it’s connected - nothing has broken in 5 years)

Cheers
R

Hi Richard, my car is a R231 and p285 in the manual shows this

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 21.50.00.png

It may be different on your R230

kc

Without meaning to be pedantic that extract is fot jump starting..is there a Difference between charging and conditioning?

ive had my Optimate ( same as ctek) connected directly to my battery for 3 1/2 years with no ill effects....

i believe MB sell the hard wire permanent leads as well

I’d always jump start from there (or fast charge).... and Im not going to recommend ignoring the manual:)
R

Reason you don't connect direct to the battery is that there will be an electrical battery condition monitor on the negative side. If you connect direct to the battery, the car won't see the current going to the battery and might go a bit haywire. You can get round this by connecting to chassis earth on most cars. Just depends how the battery condition monitor is wired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom