Quick Detail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisk2010

MB Enthusiast
Car
C230 w203
Morning Chaps,

Well i managed to give the car a little attention Saturday and get a quick detail done, it wasn't perfect and i would have loved to have spent another day on it but non the less here it is.

To begin with the car got a good sudding, jet wash, the wheels were treated with BH auto wheels agitated and cleaned, then a snow foam followed by a two bucket wash and dried.

10.jpg11.jpg

Next up was the car was treated with Gtechiq W6 fallout remover, allowed to dwell, agitated then washed and dried.

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Tardis tar remover was next to be applied the same way as above by allowing to dwell briefly, agitated then soaped over and washed.

30.jpg

Soaping the car up all the time with the mixer feature on the Karcher i used the clay mit on the before claying. It seem a bit unnecessary but it doesn't take long and i like to remove the worst before attacking the car with clay it just makes life a little easier.

32.jpg33.jpg

Half way through claying i heard a beep at the gates and my better half has turned up with coffee and a sausage sandwich was was highly welcomed so i gave hear car a quick TBW and dry before finishing claying my own car.

Ok next i got on to the main event which was a machine polish. I wiped the car over with 70% IPA and I used a green hex pad with some nano tech SST for the first pass and had a blue hex pad in the wings for the jewelling polish here is a few photos.

16.jpg17.jpg21.jpg19.jpg20.jpg

Man you easily forget the toll it takes on our back working on that bonnet but to cut a long story short i managed to get the first pass done and about two thirds through the jewelling polish disaster struck!

22.jpg

A bit of spray adhesive very carefully applied and ...

23.jpg

yep i took a pic of the wrong side of the pad :doh: i had been working on the for about 9 hours at this point so my brain was kaput but rest assured it was enough of a bodge to finish up.

Once everything was done i broke open a new set of micro fibre cloths not wanting to take risks and thoroughly buffed the over.

As recommended by Lee i treated the whole car with Wowo's crystal sealant which was quite nice to use though albeit no hard than a wax but a little difficult to buff up as it's not allowed to dry. I went for this because wax on a black car in the summer become very sticky and i was tired dust sticking to the paintwork 30 secs after cleaning.

It was a very pleasant change though not having to deal with the residue wax leaves behind and i can it becoming one of my favourites.

It was getting on a bit at this point and with the car protected i had to finished up and return the next day to spruced up the interior and engine bay which i'll takes some pictures of in due course but here's some pics of the fruits of my labour.

25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg28.jpg29.jpg

Some things i forgot to mention and take pictures of which were i removed the plastic from the boot gutters and gave what lay beneath a good clean and a coat of BH double speed wax and the plastic trims from the doors got the same treatment.

The wheels, wheel arches, door rubbers, bits of trim in the engine bay were treated with Meg's tyre gel and the cowling under the wipers used up my last drop of Gtech C4 which although i got it done there wasn't quite enough to get a good coat so that will need doing again. The wheels themselves got a dose of crystal sealant the previous day but the following day gave the a quick wipe over with Megs ultimate QD

The interior although lacking in pictures at the moment was hovered and cleaned with Halfords matt interior cleaner and the seats were a cleaned and treated with AG leather cleaner and megs leather balm.

I can't really think of anything else hope you enjoy :)

Last edited:
Looks amazing, cracking job. I have not got the male dangly bits required to attempt a machine polish :eek:

Looks amazing, cracking job. I have not got the male dangly bits required to attempt a machine polish :eek:

Thanks fella, it's not to bad apart from the bad for a night and to be honest i'm more afraid of claying than machine polishing which is why i use the clay mit first in an effort to gently get rid of most of the contaminates before doing it.

With machine polishing everything is in the prep work once the car is fully decontaminated going over the car with a DA is the easy bit :).

These cars do look good when they’re polished up.

These cars do look good when they’re polished up.

I never used to like the W203 and wasn't looking for one when i wanted to replace my previous car but i when i saw this i had to have it.

That being said if i had owned a black car before and knew how hard they are to keep clean i may have given this a miss lol.

Looks like a good job Buddy, Glad you finally found some time to work on the car.. The more you use Crystal sealant the easier it is to work with,, I found that using 2 buffing towels worked well, 1 to level it off and then a 2nd to buff it down., you can feel the slickness on the final buff.

1 thing you will notice is how much longer it stays clean compared to a wax, I've been playing around with this for a while now, and found that it really works well with a hybrid q/d as a drying aid.. get yourself some Carpro Ech20 and dilute it 1/15 and use that on a damp drying towel,, it adds to the depth of the colour, lubricates the drying process and works as a sacrificial layer to the coatiing.. other products that also work very well with it are carpro Elixir q/d for topping it up, it adds slickness to the finish and works extremely well at keeping the paint clean, Wowo's q/d is also designed to work with the sealant as it has the same formulation and works very well as a drying aid too.

The hard work paid off:thumb:
Depending on the weather, I may have to give mine the full works tomorrow and break out the polisher.

Looks like a good job Buddy, Glad you finally found some time to work on the car.. The more you use Crystal sealant the easier it is to work with,, I found that using 2 buffing towels worked well, 1 to level it off and then a 2nd to buff it down., you can feel the slickness on the final buff.

1 thing you will notice is how much longer it stays clean compared to a wax, I've been playing around with this for a while now, and found that it really works well with a hybrid q/d as a drying aid.. get yourself some Carpro Ech20 and dilute it 1/15 and use that on a damp drying towel,, it adds to the depth of the colour, lubricates the drying process and works as a sacrificial layer to the coatiing.. other products that also work very well with it are carpro Elixir q/d for topping it up, it adds slickness to the finish and works extremely well at keeping the paint clean, Wowo's q/d is also designed to work with the sealant as it has the same formulation and works very well as a drying aid too.

Thanks Lee it came up really nice even if i did have a bit of trouble at the jewelling stage next time i'll keep a couple of spare pads. I'm a little gutted i didn't get to apply a ceramic coating over the weekend but everything has picked up lately and life is busier than ever.

" 1 to level it off and then a 2nd to buff it down" I adopted this very quickly and what made it a bit more difficult was where i was applying it, the canopy above in failing light is a bit like staring at graph paper i couldn't see bits i hadn't buffed so was going by slickness and feel but it was much easier than applying a wax so i can see it quickly becoming a regular addition to the detailing shelf :).

I'm already quite impressed with it although there is a bit of dust on the car (it's black after all) it hasn't stuck to it like a wax i have Wowo’s Contact 121 Wax but may save that for another day and order up the Carpro bits next week when the missus isn't looking as i had to get a bit of everything for the detail.:D

I was very interested in your 8 mit method it seemed quite efficient have you noticed if it significantly reduces fine scratching?

The hard work paid off:thumb:
Depending on the weather, I may have to give mine the full works tomorrow and break out the polisher.

Thanks AMGeed it was definitely worth it.

I was starting to feel a bit detached from the car with sleep, work, kids, eat and repeat for all these months of lockdown and beginning to wish i'd be furloughed even my dash cam footage is boring taking the same undeviating route each day but spending a me day on the car has reaffirmed the bond a bit and I've started looking at things to do again. 😊

I hope yours goes alright and you don't have exploding pressure washers and flying polishing pads like i did lol.

Hey
Thanks Lee it came up really nice even if i did have a bit of trouble at the jewelling stage next time i'll keep a couple of spare pads. I'm a little gutted i didn't get to apply a ceramic coating over the weekend but everything has picked up lately and life is busier than ever.

" 1 to level it off and then a 2nd to buff it down" I adopted this very quickly and what made it a bit more difficult was where i was applying it, the canopy above in failing light is a bit like staring at graph paper i couldn't see bits i hadn't buffed so was going by slickness and feel but it was much easier than applying a wax so i can see it quickly becoming a regular addition to the detailing shelf :).

I'm already quite impressed with it although there is a bit of dust on the car (it's black after all) it hasn't stuck to it like a wax i have Wowo’s Contact 121 Wax but may save that for another day and order up the Carpro bits next week when the missus isn't looking as i had to get a bit of everything for the detail.:D

I was very interested in your 8 mit method it seemed quite efficient have you noticed if it significantly reduces fine scratching?
hey Chris, The 2bm is kinda industry standard now, but it still has its flawes, no amount of grit guards will stop fine grit sitting at the top of the rinse bucket, 2nd, its not really possible to fully rinse a mitt in a bucket of water, especially after that water becomes dirty. The method of 8mits is far safer as you don't have to try and rinse them out, and any possible contaminates won't be transferred to the next panel. Corrected my Van a hood while back and I wash it weekly with this method, its very dark grey and has no swirls at all. Alot comes down to the prewash method, but there will always be some chance of missed bits.
another addition to the wash method is towel drying, again, this can cause as much damage as washing... Hence why i use water to dry most of The car off, then spritz some Ech20 onto a clean towel and dry that way, again using a clean side for every panel is far safer Imo... I know its only my method and its not for everyone, but why spend days on end correcting paint to them damage it with a sub standard wash process. Another thing to consider is the wash mitts.... Pro detailed magazine dis a full on lab style test on all wash media , testing dry / wet marring, how easier they are to clean etc etc.. The Chenille noodle wash mit came out on top, showing no marring of any kind tested on an acrylic panel and checked under a microscope, there were no visible signs of marring, at all, even if used dirty or dry. It won by a mile, lambs wool and synthetic were almost as bad as using a sponge as they hold onto the fine dirt that can't be rinsed out.

sorry about some of those typo's doing this from my phone with fat thumbs

Ooh, 1 more thing.. I've been trying out the No BM, that works really well too same principle as the 1 BM Multi Mitts, but put 10ml of Bh Autowash into your lance and fill with water then apply it directly to the car, its soaps up really well, and is very well lubricated, if your wash mitt runs out of suds with the 1 BM you can also inflict swirls, this way the panel is always lubricated.. also works very well with Garage Therapy shampoo

Fantastic work buddy , I better throw away my sponge and chamois after reading all that :eek: .
If it helps I had a fantastic drive through Snowdonia yesterday in the E class , but to even up the yin yang , Mrs W just phoned me from home to say the boiler has leaked water over the floor at home :(

Hey

hey Chris, The 2bm is kinda industry standard now, but it still has its flawes, no amount of grit guards will stop fine grit sitting at the top of the rinse bucket, 2nd, its not really possible to fully rinse a mitt in a bucket of water, especially after that water becomes dirty. The method of 8mits is far safer as you don't have to try and rinse them out, and any possible contaminates won't be transferred to the next panel. Corrected my Van a hood while back and I wash it weekly with this method, its very dark grey and has no swirls at all. Alot comes down to the prewash method, but there will always be some chance of missed bits.
another addition to the wash method is towel drying, again, this can cause as much damage as washing... Hence why i use water to dry most of The car off, then spritz some Ech20 onto a clean towel and dry that way, again using a clean side for every panel is far safer Imo... I know its only my method and its not for everyone, but why spend days on end correcting paint to them damage it with a sub standard wash process. Another thing to consider is the wash mitts.... Pro detailed magazine dis a full on lab style test on all wash media , testing dry / wet marring, how easier they are to clean etc etc.. The Chenille noodle wash mit came out on top, showing no marring of any kind tested on an acrylic panel and checked under a microscope, there were no visible signs of marring, at all, even if used dirty or dry. It won by a mile, lambs wool and synthetic were almost as bad as using a sponge as they hold onto the fine dirt that can't be rinsed out.

You're right i have noticed that the 2bm although good doesn't quite cut the mustard. I have seen the multi mit method mentioned before and at the time when i was setting up it seemed a bit OTT but as time has gone on it seems more and more sensible. I've had a very quick look and found these on amazon (chenille mit) which ones do you use out of interest? more for the reason yours will be tried and tested, there is the chem guys ones for not much more i i was to go for a brand name.

The carpro stuff sounds like a good idea although t's a bit hard to find, slim detailing have a 4 litre pack size for about £63 but for anything smaller i'm only finding US websites but will keep mooching. I'm finding a few detailing suppliers are running out of small sized packs but i haven't has the time or energy to shop around as yet something i hope to correct next week at some point as i need to stock up and get organised. :)

Ooh, 1 more thing.. I've been trying out the No BM, that works really well too same principle as the 1 BM Multi Mitts, but put 10ml of Bh Autowash into your lance and fill with water then apply it directly to the car, its soaps up really well, and is very well lubricated, if your wash mitt runs out of suds with the 1 BM you can also inflict swirls, this way the panel is always lubricated.. also works very well with Garage Therapy shampoo

With the above i do something similar in the way i always mix some BH shampoo into the shampoo bottle for the Karcher and soap up the panel befoe touching it then rinse the panel after i have cleaned it and do this as i go. I have been doing this for years with the 2bm as i hate the idea of any mit touching a dry car. My thinking is the slipperier the surface the less chance of inflicting damage.

I like the idea of doing this with the multi mit 1bm as the mits will be soaking in a shampoo solution and on a dry or windy day they won't pick up any dust or debris that may be in the air or come off the car when pressure washing. One of perks about where i work is that i'm never ever short for buckets as i purchase various sizes and shapes in the thousands and request free samples with lids when my wash buckets need replacing. So using the abm multi mit in a sealed bucket seems like a great idea. :)

Thanks for all the time you have taken to share ideas you have certainly given me a lot of food for thought and added a few items to my shopping basket to try out 😁.

Fantastic work buddy , I better throw away my sponge and chamois after reading all that :eek: .
If it helps I had a fantastic drive through Snowdonia yesterday in the E class , but to even up the yin yang , Mrs W just phoned me from home to say the boiler has leaked water over the floor at home :(

Haha! you know i have always loved cleaning cars since i was in single digits i used to send the entire weekend polishing and waxing my dads 7 series (plural) and then my silver W202 C240 when i passed my test but the detailing bug never really caught up with me until i bought this black car which has a terrible habit of showing every single mistake then the detailing sides of things really took off and i immediately ditched my sponge and chammy lol.

Sorry to hear about the boiler have you managed to get it sorted?

You're right i have noticed that the 2bm although good doesn't quite cut the mustard. I have seen the multi mit method mentioned before and at the time when i was setting up it seemed a bit OTT but as time has gone on it seems more and more sensible. I've had a very quick look and found these on amazon (chenille mit) which ones do you use out of interest? more for the reason yours will be tried and tested, there is the chem guys ones for not much more i i was to go for a brand name.

The carpro stuff sounds like a good idea although t's a bit hard to find, slim detailing have a 4 litre pack size for about £63 but for anything smaller i'm only finding US websites but will keep mooching. I'm finding a few detailing suppliers are running out of small sized packs but i haven't has the time or energy to shop around as yet something i hope to correct next week at some point as i need to stock up and get organised. :)

With the above i do something similar in the way i always mix some BH shampoo into the shampoo bottle for the Karcher and soap up the panel befoe touching it then rinse the panel after i have cleaned it and do this as i go. I have been doing this for years with the 2bm as i hate the idea of any mit touching a dry car. My thinking is the slipperier the surface the less chance of inflicting damage.

I like the idea of doing this with the multi mit 1bm as the mits will be soaking in a shampoo solution and on a dry or windy day they won't pick up any dust or debris that may be in the air or come off the car when pressure washing. One of perks about where i work is that i'm never ever short for buckets as i purchase various sizes and shapes in the thousands and request free samples with lids when my wash buckets need replacing. So using the abm multi mit in a sealed bucket seems like a great idea. :)

Thanks for all the time you have taken to share ideas you have certainly given me a lot of food for thought and added a few items to my shopping basket to try out 😁.
hey Chris, I've tried Loads of mitt combos , detailers pride, martin cox, ragmaster and chemical guys, the chemical guys fluro Green is by far the most luxurious and has a an extremely slick feel to it, my favourite by a long way..., as for the Ech20 i had to wait a little to be able to get A500ml bottle, its dilution rate @1/15 means it will last an absolute age, so worth waiting for... Another great product i forgot to mention is waxplanet vaporizer, it's outlet a polymer based drying aid that diluted to 1/40 its also does the same thing as Ech20 but doesn't add anything or affect the water behaviour of your coating... It's about £8 from waxplanet buddy

Bit of an update regarding Wowo crystal sealent i must admit i'm very impressed so far.

I done the detail on Saturday and on Sunday i had to come back to clean the interior and put all my toys away which to be honest i couldn't have picked a worse day as it was so windy the area i cleaned the car in the day before was acting like a wind tunnel and the car was covered very quickly in grit and sand :wallbash: i didn't want to lay a finger on the paint work so instead i took it for an extended drive in an attempt let the debris go it's own way which worked quite well. In the early part of the week we had mixed weather going from windy to rain and back to sunny, back to rain and by now my car would be covered in everything mother nature threw at it but Wowo has held up it's own.

35.jpg36.jpg37.jpg

Forgive the quality of the pictures i was trying to get as close as i could to show how little dust there was.

I'm really looking forward to getting another clean in and topping up the coating and as your can apply this to any surface i'm going to get in the wheel arches and try it out on the glass exterior when my BH surfex hd arrives which is bouncing around in price and lead time on amazon at the moment i caught it at £16 for 5 litres if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom