Quick question before I collect my CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reefergeezer

Car
W219 320 CDI (2009, facelift version)
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum, apoligies in advance if it isn't.

Hopefully, I will be collecting my CLS this weekend which I am buying privately. Can someone please tell me how many keys I should get? I assume it is two proper keys, but is there a plastic key as well just for the locks (which BMW supply with their cars) or any codes etc. I should get at the same time?

Also, anything else I should make sure of when collecting, apart from the usual paperwork checks?

Thanks.

Mercedes do not supply a plastic key, its a metal key that is part if the remote fob. Basically each remote fob will have its own little metal key for the locks.

2 Keys

Check the spare and toolkit, especially the locking wheel nut socket.

Better not find out something is missing at the roadside :crazy:.

Check the spare and toolkit, especially the locking wheel nut socket.

Better not find out something is missing at the roadside :crazy:.
Thanks - I did ask about the locking wheel nut but haven't seen it for myself yet!

What kind of toolkit do these come with and where is it located? I have seen two types on eBay, one is a roll-up canvas version and the other is a moulded polystyrene version. If it is the moulded version, then it should be easy to spot if anything is missing, but if it is the canvas version, what should I expect to be in there?

Cheers.

The toolkit should be in the rear wheel well under the carpet and is most likely in in the moulded box. It should contain a wheel brace, 5 wheel nuts for a steel spare wheel, a screwdriver, pair of grips,a couple of open ended spanners, a threaded dummy to help position the refitting of a wheel, a screw in tow hook and a locking wheel nut socket. Oh, there should be a Mercedes jack there too.
Sometimes a spacesaver wheel is supplied or even a can of tyreweld in the case of no spare wheel!
My E class also came with spare fuses and a spare bulb kit.

The toolkit should be in the rear wheel well under the carpet and is most likely in in the moulded box. It should contain a wheel brace, 5 wheel nuts for a steel spare wheel, a screwdriver, pair of grips,a couple of open ended spanners, a threaded dummy to help position the refitting of a wheel, a screw in tow hook and a locking wheel nut socket. Oh, there should be a Mercedes jack there too.
Sometimes a spacesaver wheel is supplied or even a can of tyreweld in the case of no spare wheel!
Thanks, that is very helpful. I would never have checked for the nuts for the spare wheel as I would have just assumed the regular nuts were used! I will be taking this list with me :)

^ Actually, there will be 5 different wheel bolts. Not sure why I typed wheel nuts at all.

Thanks. To clarify, does this mean that the spare wheel has its own set of (different) bolts/nuts?

Cheers.

Thanks, I have that one on the list although I wasnt sure if they are needed - it's an 09 plate, I haven't needed a radio code on BMWs for years but my wife's Audi last year came with a code. Still, it's on the list of questions to ask :)

Toolkit is just a very small roll bag and locking wheel nuts are not standard, if fitted with Mercedes locking nuts you will find a black plastic box that has a five bolts and a key in it. No radio code and no stamped service book just a print out.

Enjoy and looking forward to seeing some photos..

That's strange, mine didn't have an extra set of wheel bolts and I've used the spare wheel without a problem. Mine also has a service book although I do believe these aren't always supplied as already mentioned.

No extra wheel bolts in my 2010 cls, only the locking wheel nut key.

Thanks all. I know there is no service book but I've obtained the print out and the data card from Mercedes already and all is good on that front. The gearbox oil change was done about 4k miles ago so I just avoided a big service according to a mate who knows about these things :D

I did see a small black box in the boot and, come to think of it, I remember finding one of those in a brand new E class I hired a few months ago and remembered wondering then why there were a spare set of bolts - that must be what's in the box I saw but will definitely check for the locking nut.

Thanks, Dream, for the tip on the first aid kit.

Less than 12 hours to go....I aint excited :cool:

Sorry...I lied about not being excited! :bannana:
And, once again, thanks for being so helpful, guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom