Quick questions on Tom Tom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok it's a nightmare trying to trawl through websites trying to find the right info on all the millions of sat nav units, features, whether they have card readers, what's the card size limit etc etc. What I'm after is a basic unit (not interested in traffic updates, lane assist, reroute, map share and the other gubbins). I want something with a decent display to use as a travel guide when in hotels and in between places on a tour. I can display a map and see that there are loads of restaurants and pubs next to a harbour say so looks good next place to visit (and there's a Tesco for the missus ??)

I saw some RAC ones which looked great and can download Lonely Planet Guides. I did read though that there is a limit to POI categories and the units start having display problem if too many. I have looked at my mates TomTom and it's ok but not great. Perhaps I need an iPAQ instead and use MapPoint on it. Or is there some other device that is sort of more biased towards quality maps rather than navi features etc. iPhone perhaps ?

I might just spend £80 on the RAC one and see how it goes.

I want something with a decent display to use as a travel guide when in hotels and in between places on a tour. I can display a map and see that there are loads of restaurants and pubs next to a harbour say so looks good next place to visit (and there's a Tesco for the missus ??)

Which phone do you have? For this use I would consider a navigation application on a smart phone being easier to use. You get POI and map info for free if you have Google maps or Nokia Maps installed on the phone. Tom Tom should also have applications for smart phones.

I'm using Nokia Maps at hotel rooms, it has this assisted GPS feature that allows a quick fix at poor signal conditions (even if the GPS on a phone is usually not as accurate as on a dedicated device). Once you have the fix, other applications can make use of the GPS info. You can try Nokia Maps for free, only active navigation needs a licence but I guess it only works on Symbian S60 devices.

I find Nokia Maps or Ovi is a bit hit and miss about how it initiates the GPS receiver on my phone.

So, I have taken to using Google Maps and this fires up much more reliably.

Which phone do you have? For this use I would consider a navigation application on a smart phone being easier to use. You get POI and map info for free if you have Google maps or Nokia Maps installed on the phone. Tom Tom should also have applications for smart phones.

I'm using Nokia Maps at hotel rooms, it has this assisted GPS feature that allows a quick fix at poor signal conditions (even if the GPS on a phone is usually not as accurate as on a dedicated device). Once you have the fix, other applications can make use of the GPS info. You can try Nokia Maps for free, only active navigation needs a licence but I guess it only works on Symbian S60 devices.

I only have a fairly basic works phone. I'll try the Nokia maps and might even get a smartphone or similar device. The perfect compromise would be a sort of iPAQ device that was specifically designed for travel applications.

I did have the Tom Tom one (basic but an excellent unit) which was recently stolen from the company van (due to the tell tale screen mark) but I will be heading to the local Currys store later today as the Tom Tom Classic Euro XL Black widescreen sat nav unit featuring UK, Ireland and Europe maps is in their sale with £150 off. Has to be the bargain of the year on Satnav gear at under £130.
No more street maps to search through. What a relief as I am sure AtoZ print them a lot smaller than they used to or perhaps the eye sight isn't as good as it used to be.

I bought an RAC 1000 and it's a brilliant unit - just what I need - it's even got a pedestrian mode so I can walk around with it. It's also very compact and high quality casing. However the support is horrendous ! I cnanot work out how to copy POIs to it. There is no SD card and no instructions whatsover on how to use an SD card in it.

TomTom has pedestrian mode too. Never used it myself though.

I bought an RAC 1000 and it's a brilliant unit - just what I need - it's even got a pedestrian mode so I can walk around with it. It's also very compact and high quality casing. However the support is horrendous ! I cnanot work out how to copy POIs to it. There is no SD card and no instructions whatsover on how to use an SD card in it.

Checkout Pocket GPS World, I'm nnot sure if you can download POI's onto the RAC unit if you can it will probably have to be done through a third part app such as POI-Warner, search on PGPSW and I'm sure you'll find all the answers you need.

Is it possible to save my Euro maps to my PC (via the TomTom user software/interface "TomTom Home") and then upload it to another unit that currently does not have Europe maps installed?

If you are new to GPS route planning devices, I am not sure that TT and similar are relevant anymore, now that you can get it all free on smart phones such as Nokia.

I would not be buying any shares in these TT type Cos at this time.

I am on my second satnav now, having replaced my old Navman after it stopped finding a signal. My new Garmin Nuvi 205W is better in almost every way - full postcode search, SD card slot, good screen etc. I looked at TomTom but felt they were a bit bulky. Although it came with a window/dash mount I mount it on the top of the dash in my Saab using my old standby, Velcro. Not used it yet in the W124.

Phones will always have much smaller screens, so many people (me included) will prefer a dedicated satnav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom