Quick Warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Just been out this morning to get a paper and some other bits.

We had a bit of snow yesterday. Nothing special, an inch or so, two at the most in the more exposed areas. Most of the main roads have had some form of substance thrown at them by the Council, though looking at it, it was probably early last night, so they're a bit slushy this morning, not icy and not bad compared to most I suppose.

The standard of driving I came across this morning was terrifying though. Mainly small hatchback things, portholes for windows as they couldn't be bothered clearing the snow off them, hogging the middle of the road as they seemed to have lost all spacial awareness and the majority seemed to be sat bolt upright, inches from the screen. This also applied to a couple of SUV types as well, namely the Q7 who would not do more than 15mph on a perfectly clear stretch of 40 limit road, with the brake lights constantly illuminated, also the Hyundai thing driven by what looked to me, when I passed it, a very scared lady. I appreciate that 40 is the limit and not a target, though it was very easily attainable and certainly safe to reach.

What usually would have taken me a few minutes ended up taking at least double the time due to people not having a clue. I can now understand how we get gridlocked so easy. This was at 0645 on a Sunday morning, so nothing about really, but those that were out were crawling along. As I said, the roads were fine, with just little bits of powdery stuff on them, nothing special. I'm a great believer in driving to the road and traffic conditions, but the conditions some of these people were driving to were on a different continent, and certainly not applicable round here today.

I was going to go and visit some friends later, really can't be bothered now as I don't want a 30 minute trip to take up to three hours. :mad:

No gritting done by 8pm locally here last night. 2" of snow overnight whichwas forecast all week apparently (I hadn't seen).
Hmmm

It has been snowing steadily here since yesterday afternoon with a couple of inches lying now .

The snowploughs went by regularly last night and the A road outside my house is perfectly clear - there isn't a lot of traffic , but those vehicles which are out seem to be driving normally .

I'll be venturing out later to take my son sledging ....

I'll be venturing out later to take my son sledging ....

That's our plan for today Derek. Followed by a nice lunch out in a country pub with a log fire. It's what snowy Sunday's are for.

Hey, given the snow I'm glad we didn't go out in that Atom. Yikes. :crazy:

Ant.

No snow here.

The driving is still appalling though. :p

....and there was I thinking that "sledging" only applied to cricket!

No snow here in the North East and the roads are dry, so traffic is moving pretty much as normal.

That Q7 probably had ultra low profile summer tyres on to be fair (to the car!)

More than likely, when it snows up here, most of the cars I see on their roof in fields are some type of 4x4. Some owners think 4x4 & summer tyres are invincible and cannot understand how they left the road.

Russ

So, it indicates, that my driving style is horrible :devil: Because i like to go sideways! :D That's why there was no tailgaters behind me :D Love snow! :D :bannana:

Last edited:
In Kent it is considered the done thing to set off down the road in your weapon of choice, with a clearing smaller than your head in the windscreen.

The assumption being, that if everybody else does this? then you will all just follow the car in front like a giant snake.

Mirrors are silly things used only to judge the width of your car in country lanes. Most around here use their mirrors like Knights of old in a jousting contest. The verges are littered with them.

It's great to be a member of Mercedes-Benz, snobbery doesn't get much better than (mainly small hatchback things).....daveenty lol

It's great to be a member of Mercedes-Benz, snobbery doesn't get much better than (mainly small hatchback things).....daveenty lol

Didn't intend it to come across that way, though most of the things were worth at least twice as much as the shed I was driving at the time. :eek:

In Kent it is considered the done thing to set off down the road in your weapon of choice, with a clearing smaller than your head in the windscreen.

The assumption being, that if everybody else does this? then you will all just follow the car in front like a giant snake.

Mirrors are silly things used only to judge the width of your car in country lanes. Most around here use their mirrors like Knights of old in a jousting contest. The verges are littered with them.

Couldn't agree with this more. Even seen people joining m20 with just a tiny part of screen cleared.

Mark, the reason is they don't have a Garage like me, it's ruddy cold out scraping ice and snow, the car is running the heater is on full......sod this get in.....lol

Good Morning Everyone :D Looks like this slow-motion trend is still active :D had a chance to be following such a turd this morning going down to work. Zone - 30mph, turd's speed - 15mph :doh: Plus, all his/her windows, let's say, he /she had a "tank view sight" :D After ~15 minutes, there was a real convoy behind him/her. Some individuals are amazing with they thought process :fail

Don't get some people, all they need is that spray from Halfords and the like, think it's around a fiver for a bottle. I buy two on the works credit card each time, literally works in seconds. All windows and side mirrors clear within a minute. Then it's just to de-mist the windscreen from within the vehicle. Certainly don't miss the days where I'd misplace my scraper whilst late for work, and having to use my unite the union member card to scrape with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom