Quicker steering box to W114 powered by M104 3,2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Johannes, I do have the spec's for 1980's M-B steering boxes some where (but obviously that won't cover W114's). I'll see if I can find them and if I do I'll post up on this thread. But even if I get you that info, I don't think it will be of any great help unless you find out the ratios of W114 boxes and can match up a W201 or W124 to fit in place of your current st.box. I'm doubtful it's an easy or practical swap, thus why I mentioned this in my first post.

The reason I mentioned getting your current St.box modified is threefold.

1. You'll get exactly the ratio your require or close on as you'll be basing the higher ratio on the current ratio of the box you have now.
2. You'll also have a fully rebuilt St.box, no bad thing considering the age of your present box.
3. It will save you messing about with used St.boxes and from a different chassis too.

The only limiting factor of course is cost.

P.s. Maybe try someone like High Performance Steering, Transmissions and Auxiliary Components - Jack Knight, maybe cheaper than you think?
JJ junior, I would appreciate some specs you have. I do agree with you on rebuilding the existing box and getting all the benefits you're listing. It's a question of price, as always.

If someone can confirm thet a W124 steering box is a bolt-on to W114, I would like to start there. I think that trial is way cheaper than rebuilding the existing box.

Thanks for the link, need to check that one out first.

What about converting the car to rack and pinion? Might be cheaper than getting a steering box messed with.
Absolutely. This was my first thought when i started my project but got scared of all the opinions of bump steer and such. I'm not that well educated in steering theory with all the geometrics and such, so I dropped the idea.

Are you familiar with this kind of conversion and could guide one further? In that case I would pick up the idea again :D

you can get different ratios depending on your needs .:thumb:
I guess this conversion is not street legal, is it?

I have my car MOT'd (Finland) and would like to have it that way BUT build it with race track capabilities.

hismajestics said:
I guess this conversion is not street legal, is it? I have my car MOT'd (Finland) and would like to have it that way BUT build it with race track capabilities.
its mot legal as long you support it properly as you should being a steering part , also it will be covered by the column trim so they will never know.

W201

2.0, ratio 14.6 (3.4-3.7 steering rotations).
Sportline Chassis, ratio 13.9 (3.3-3.5)
2.3/2.5-16, ratio 13.3 (3.1-3.4)

W124

Standard chassis ratio, varies from 14.6,14.0 & 13.9 depending on model.
Sportline chassis ratio, 13.3 & 13.9 again depending on model.

Note: 'Ratio' is defined by M-B as ''Steering gear ratio in centre position''.

I'm not exactly sure what that means but what is important is the difference % wise, which can be deduced from the figures above.

JJ junior, I would appreciate some specs you have. I do agree with you on rebuilding the existing box and getting all the benefits you're listing. It's a question of price, as always.

If someone can confirm thet a W124 steering box is a bolt-on to W114, I would like to start there. I think that trial is way cheaper than rebuilding the existing box.

Thanks for the link, need to check that one out first.

Sorry if I misled you with 'straight swap' comment.

In the rush of life I clearly did not read your post properly.

I do NOT know if the 124 box is a straight swap with 114 box.

I purchased a second hand sportline box and that was a straight swap for
a non sportline box in my 124.

W201

2.0, ratio 14.6 (3.4-3.7 steering rotations).
Sportline Chassis, ratio 13.9 (3.3-3.5)
2.3/2.5-16, ratio 13.3 (3.1-3.4)

W124

Standard chassis ratio, varies from 14.6,14.0 & 13.9 depending on model.
Sportline chassis ratio, 13.3 & 13.9 again depending on model.

Note: 'Ratio' is defined by M-B as ''Steering gear ratio in centre position''.

I'm not exactly sure what that means but what is important is the difference % wise, which can be deduced from the figures above.
Well, this is very strange. I did check my steering today and I get LESS THAN 3 rotations from end to end. 2. 75 or something...:confused: Can this be real??

Well, this is very strange. I did check my steering today and I get LESS THAN 3 rotations from end to end. 2. 75 or something...:confused: Can this be real??

Sorry, I can't comment in a meaningful or helpful way, other than to say those ratios I gave you are correct.

Now, just to add another bit of info I just found. A W124 300E 4MATIC has the closest rotations to your car at 2.4-2.7 with a steering gear ratio of 13.9. So, I suspect what counts is the ratio first and the steering rotations second, if that makes sense.

Sorry, I can't comment in a meaningful or helpful way, other than to say those ratios I gave you are correct.

Now, just to add another bit of info I just found. A W124 300E 4MATIC has the closest rotations to your car at 2.4-2.7 with a steering gear ratio of 13.9. So, I suspect what counts is the ratio first and the steering rotations second, if that makes sense.
Maybe I'm messing things up here... :dk:

In my attempt to understand the definition of steering ratio and steering rotation I found information of a BMW M3 CSL which, as compared to a regular M3, has "quicker ratio steering rack (overall ratio: 14.5:1)". To me this number looks greater than ratios we've been discussing regarding MB:s.

Is the Beamer example in the same frame of reference we've been discussing or totally something else?

Btw, JJ, thanks for the info on 4-matic :thumb:

Maybe I'm messing things up here... :dk:

In my attempt to understand the definition of steering ratio and steering rotation I found information of a BMW M3 CSL which, as compared to a regular M3, has "quicker ratio steering rack (overall ratio: 14.5:1)". To me this number looks greater than ratios we've been discussing regarding MB:s.

Is the Beamer example in the same frame of reference we've been discussing or totally something else?

Btw, JJ, thanks for the info on 4-matic :thumb:

HM, at a bad guess I'd say you've got to take into account the length of the pitman arm too, not just the gearing of the box and I'd say the reason the 4-Matic has a different ratio & rotations is due to the steering box & linkage including the pitman arm are modified to allow for driveshaft clearance to the front diff?

As I said, all guess work by me, thus it's highly unlikely I'm corrrect! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom