Quieter tyres on S204?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lotiman

Car
S204 C350 CDi; R171 200SLK; Lotus Evora 400; Lotus Exige V6
My C350 CDi is currently fitted with Continental Contisport 5 tyres, size 225/45 R17 which will soon need replacing so I'm wondering about alternatives. I find I get a lot of road noise from the Contis on some surfaces so have been thinking about a change to tyres that will be a lot quieter whilst still having good all weather grip and tyre life.

Anybody tried alternatives that might fit the bill and that they could recommend please?

Try Vredstein Ultrac Sessentas - I have these in 225/45 17 on the fronts and 245/40 17 on the rears. Just as good as your premium branded tyres.

Although next time I'll be trying out their Vorti range as the Sessenta range is being discontinued in certain sizes.

My C350 CDi is currently fitted with Continental Contisport 5 tyres, size 225/45 R17 which will soon need replacing so I'm wondering about alternatives. I find I get a lot of road noise from the Contis on some surfaces so have been thinking about a change to tyres that will be a lot quieter whilst still having good all weather grip and tyre life.

Anybody tried alternatives that might fit the bill and that they could recommend please?

I've just fitted Avon Zx7's to my ML350, they are so much quieter than the contisport I had fitted and £80 each cheaper, they also drive and feel just as good

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics! Had 16" Contis when I bought the car, changed to 17" AMG rims and the Goodyears, car is now whisper quiet yet has excellent grip wet and dry and they're wearing well after best part of 2 years, probably 12k miles. Mine are F1's, but I believe they have been superceded by F3 now. Have a look at Tyreleader website, they give EU ratings and noise levels for many tyres - and are good on price as well.

Another vote for Avon ZV7's. Great tyre in all aspects and better in some than most 'premium' brands. Noticeable noise reduction from Conti on my A6.
At £65 per corner fitted at Halfords what's not to like?:dk:

PS I'm really picky about tyres:eek:

Some good suggestions there for me to consider thanks chaps. I've been reasonably happy with the performance of the Continentals but my god they do produce a lot of road noise, so any tyre that can improve on this is well worth considering.

Another vote for Avon ZV7's. Great tyre in all aspects and better in some than most 'premium' brands. Noticeable noise reduction from Conti on my A6.
At £65 per corner fitted at Halfords what's not to like?:dk:

PS I'm really picky about tyres:eek:

I was so impressed with the ZX7 on the ML350 I put a set on the wife's car (ZV7), she reckons its like a new car, very quiet too

Looks like Avon might be the way forward I think. They certainly appear to have a lower noise rating than most and are reasonably priced so think I'll price some up tomorrow.:thumb:

Look at the db rating on the EU label - Dunlop Sport BluResponse for example are 69db while the ContiSportContact 5 are 71db.

Do remember that the noise measured is for drive-by noise, not what is transmitted into the car:eek:
Yes, the figure is a vague guide but the interior car noise is not accurately measured by this number.
And....new tyres will always be quieter than old tyres due to the damping factor of the mass of the tread has been reduced.;)...so the tyre will 'ring' more.

I have the Dunlop's on my e55 and they are excellent. Even some tread left on the rears after 8000 miles! Quiet, too.

Tread left on the rears you say?? Now that would be a novel concept.;)

One thing the 350 CDI engine has is torque aplenty and I know it's childish but I do delight in hearing them chirrup when pulling quickly out of junctions. The inevitable downside is the rears don't last for terribly long.

I know new tyres of whatever flavour will sound much quieter when new, but I find the Continentals far more noisy even when just half worn, plus they seem to give the car a more harsh ride. Ok, I know that's pretty subjective, but I went for the 'Elegance' trim with this car rather than 'Sport' simply because I want my daily to sound and feel comfortable and cosseting.

If I want harsh, and sometimes I do, I've got the rock 'N' roll toys for that. :rock::rolleyes:

Have Conti's on my E320cdi at present and while the grip is OK agree that they have become noisier and with a harder ride now they are down to 4 mm. Am going to try Goodyear Eagles when I replace the complete set

Have Conti's on my E320cdi at present and while the grip is OK agree that they have become noisier and with a harder ride now they are down to 4 mm. Am going to try Goodyear Eagles when I replace the complete set

You won't regret it - as I posted above, we could not believe how quiet the car became when we put the Eagles on it, and best part of 2 years later it's still really quiet. Wife loves it, and I find the feel and grip also excellent.

Thanks for that Chrishazle, will be another 3-4 months before the change as not doing much mileage at present but will definitely change to Goodyear , anything that is likely to get approval from my wife gets my vote

Not on a Merc but I noticed a huge difference in noise when I changed to Dunlop Sport Blue Response. Fantastic grip wet or dry too. Only down side: I think they wear faster than some.

I fitted the Avon ZV7's to the 211 and they quietened down the road noise quite a lot. You really notice in on an estate. They were cheap and made in UK too.

Got Dunlop Blue Response on the 190 and they are also very quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom