R-Class Linguatronic buttons retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingpin!

Car
R350 (W251) & R350 (V251)
Hi forum!

I wonder what steps to take to change/go from 4+4 buttons to 5+5 buttons on a 2006 R-Class (guess it's exactly the same with ML & GL)?

Is it a DYI?

TIA!

If I were to do it myself, what steps need to be taken regarding the airbag?

Airbag removal, remove existing buttons, install new ones put air bag back on.

Its about 30 minutes work. You do need to take care when removing the airbag though.

What colour steering wheel do you have ? We have a set of the tan coloured buttons in stock that I mis-ordered - as you know the RRP is a bit hefty !!

Also have a wood and leather (brown wood, tan leather) steering wheel with the button packs somewhere also

Cheers

Richard

What colour steering wheel do you have ? We have a set of the tan coloured buttons in stock that I mis-ordered - as you know the RRP is a bit hefty !!

Also have a wood and leather (brown wood, tan leather) steering wheel with the button packs somewhere also

Cheers

Richard

Richard, I have the black leather steering wheel, but thank you for the offer anyways (these buttons are very pricey)! :)

Yes. You *may* find it cheaper to buy a used steering wheel on eBay with the buttons ! Probably from Europe

R

Airbag removal, remove existing buttons, install new ones put air bag back on.

Its about 30 minutes work. You do need to take care when removing the airbag though.

There isn't (by any chance) a WIS document on this, how to safely remove the airbag and the necessary steps (remove power?)?

No coding necessary after exchange of switches?

I just wish that I was a U.K. citizen, all these retrofits I've done to my cars (and want to do in the future) would have been so much easier, just book a time with you or Richard or something.

There isn't (by any chance) a WIS document on this, how to safely remove the airbag and the necessary steps (remove power?)?

No coding necessary after exchange of switches?

I just wish that I was a U.K. citizen, all these retrofits I've done to my cars (and want to do in the future) would have been so much easier, just book a time with you or Richard or something.

Bump...

There is, but its (c) so can't/won't post.

Firstly you need a long TORX TX30 bit and a right angle driver to undo the airbag bolts, done through holes in back of steering wheel, and a few TORX screwdrivers (Can't remember which you need from T10/T15/T20)

Then, remove keys from ignition, and if you have keyless go, take them far away from car

Unscrew airbag, you will see two connectors on the back of the airbag. These either have a sliding grey section you slide and then the connectors pull off (away from the airbag), or a bit that clips up, and then the connectors pull off (again, away from the airbag)

I can't remember what you do next to disassemble but I recall the switch pack is held in from a screw from behind which is exposed when you remove the paddle shift buttons, which themselves are held in from a screw that you can see when the airbag is removed

Don't turn on ignition with airbag removed or you will get a warning light. (On newer MB's you always get a warning light, which we just reset with Star, so don't know if you can avoid that by removing batteries, but so many of the cars now have little AUX batteries to keep memory in control units ...)

You should check the SRS system for errors using Star Diagnosis after working on airbags.

Retighten the bolts to 8nm

R

Standard airbag warnings:
Store removed airbag with deployment side up (so if it were to go off its not flying around the room)
Store them somewhere that is not hot
No smoking, flames, fires, sparky environments
Do not have the car connected to any external power supply
You do this at your own risk.

Just want to say that the buttons were fitted a couple of weeks ago and everything seems to be working fine.

I think I will use Linguatronic quite much actually! :)

Thanks to all for the valuable input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom