R Class Mercedes are they any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually ground clearance was one of the other reasons I ended up with my E55K wagon. The ability to raise the suspension is a great bonus if you’re a fisherman as often have to go down poor tracks or whatever to get to rivers and lakes.
But really it was that V8 ? :-D

R500 registered pre March 2006 has to be the pick of the bunch to avoid £500 tax rate, the R350 petrol's timing chain problems & the r320cdi's various diesel issues.

Reactions: 219
Like to elaborate a bit Olly? By design or neglect?

@BelfastBill
I've had mine, a 57 R320L CDI, about 2.5 years, and apart from servicing, I've had a minor oil leak fixed, a couple of speed sensors and two rear shock absorbers. The previous owner had the electro plate issue sorted in the gearbox, which is a common drive train with the 7G box amongst other models, and it has clearly been looked after. All in all, a very tidy sub 80k motorway muncher.

It doesn't necessarily give you all the space you might hope for. It's a cavernous and comfortable cargo carrier, but not the best estate car for anything over four/five passengers if you need luggage space. My model has six seats which are comfy and spacious for all without luggage, but there's very little storage space between the third row of seats and back door. You can get a dog guard which separates good space behind the second row of either two or three seats, depending on which model you have, and the back door. The 7 seater will give you three seats, two large and one small, in the middle row. You would need the third row of seat space laid flat to accommodate passengers' luggage if needed. In the six seater, you can configure the rear seating to any up or down combo, and I'm sure the seven seater would be the same, but I'm not sure how the middle seat is installed, ie attached to the n/s seat or fitted independently.

Not the easiest of cars to park, and my car doesn't work well for five plus my father in law's wheelchair, which a seven seater no doubt would. I get typically 31 mpg on a run, mid 20s urban, which I don't do much of. They have been painted with the ugly brush, but the looks have grown on me, and I'm always pleased to see another.

I'd say mostly neglect. They are cheap to buy and just don't get looked after. Engine access it a PITA, lots of parts are expensive etc.

The e estate is imho much more reliable and holds its value

Hi all, newbie on here so hello all! I just bought a 2007 R320 Sport, previously owned by Steve Garlick of Stevenson’s Independent Mercedes, as a courtesy car. It’s got 82k miles on it, a full MOT and A service, with FSH and he talked me through all the work he has done on it and it seems like every common R class issue has been dealt with: turbo, air springs, transfer case oil, boot struts, brakes, rear lights/electrics, air con compressor etc etc. I paid £5495 with a 3 month warranty and hope I’m getting a good one! I’ll keep you posted....

Attachments

• A8EA7E32-FEC5-4F7C-BD1E-547DA2BDCD8C.jpeg
    A8EA7E32-FEC5-4F7C-BD1E-547DA2BDCD8C.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 44948348-0D3B-4B35-9466-AEAD9EE83C88.jpeg
    44948348-0D3B-4B35-9466-AEAD9EE83C88.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 4
Hi all, newbie on here so hello all! I just bought a 2007 R320 Sport, previously owned by Steve Garlick of Stevenson’s Independent Mercedes, as a courtesy car. It’s got 82k miles on it, a full MOT and A service, with FSH and he talked me through all the work he has done on it and it seems like every common R class issue has been dealt with: turbo, air springs, transfer case oil, boot struts, brakes, rear lights/electrics, air con compressor etc etc. I paid £5495 with a 3 month warranty and hope I’m getting a good one! I’ll keep you posted....
That looks very shiny buddy , good price as well

Well Bill I take it you do not want to spend a lot of money, you want a 4x4 and you want mercedes to be involved I would suggest you look at a Rexton,some low mileage ones about with a mercedes engine and gearbox,

Hopefully a bit of peace of mind that it has good pedigree and ‘shouldn’t’ need any work doing on it for a while.....
Let’s hope so , if it had the ATF and filter change at 37500 miles , I would be looking to get another one now (every 40k on the 7g box is recommended ) :)

Let’s hope so , if it had the ATF and filter change at 37500 miles , I would be looking to get another one now (every 40k on the 7g box is recommended ) :)
The ATF and filter were also replaced recently at 79k miles at the same time as the EHCU, thanks though,made me check!

The ATF and filter were also replaced recently at 79k miles at the same time as the EHCU, thanks though,made me check!
Good to go now , stick it in sport and get that engine cleared out on a decent run . (An Italian tune up ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom