R Class opinions

sweeper

Car
Vito 116cdi, 2011 R Class 350cdi 4matic, Mitsubishi Outlander, Viano 2.2
So I have had my R350cdi for around 4 months now and have sorted out a few issues, including seat belt buckle with faulty wiring on the switch, broken cable in the drivers door preventing locking and unlocking of the door using the switch, faulty anti pinch strips on the tailgate which prevented it from closing, replacing the thermostat due to over cooling! Looks like someone just left the repairs needed as they could live with them, the parts alone were over £400 lucky I could diagnose a fix myself and the car was a good price compared to some.

I find the R class a little disappointing in some respects, the drive in E mode is uninspiring with poor throttle response and using too high a gear, much better in S mode but I always have to re select it when starting up, the engine is a bit growlly at low speeds when pulling off, gear change sometimes a bit cluncky and performance is subdued by the sheer weight, the vehicle feels cheaply made, sat nav and radio is very hard to use, typical Mercedes, not very intuitive.

Why did I buy it? well I need the 7 seats and need to fit bigger children in the back, we already have a Viano for the longer trips but I wanted something which can also be fun to drive, i'm not sure it is, when I compare with my old Jaguar XJ that the Merc replaced I would have to say the Jag was better made and a lot more fun to drive, quieter, quicker, smoother and almost as good on fuel despite being a 3.5V8 petrol engine, the touch screen sat nav was far easier to use.
I'm a real fan of Mercedes and haven't ever bought an Audi or BMW and I think i'll learn to love the R Class much the same as I did our old C230 Kompressor S202 despite its poor corrosion resistance it's still one of the cars I really miss.

I have ordered some 19"wheels with all season tyres to improve the ride and give me grip in the winter and a spare key (ridiculous price) and there is a couple of marks on the rear bumper that I would like to get done.

Anyone else lived with the R Class? What do you think, am I being a bit unfair, expect too much?

Reactions: MD5

zipdip

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
s320
Well I used a R for about three weeks a few years ago,and they are a big 7 seater I found it comfortable and the guys I ferried around in it had no gripes,the R has never been popular and it shows in the second hand price,as you found they tend to have a number of small faults because people live with them as they need 7 seats and money is in short supply,at least you are handy with a spanner and so the faults are put right quickly and well at the cost of parts,for me it did not do anything very well but was ok for lugging people and cases.

greenmanslk

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SLK
I very much doubt 19” wheels will improve the ride..unless you are downsizing from 20”

I can’t see any comparison between an R class, a glorified minibus, and an XJ limo.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230 w251
I have a 57 plate R320L which I bought on a whim nearly three years ago. I needed something bigger than my S211 E class estate for equipment and a bit of a house move. It was meant to be a temporary purchase, but after this time I've even grown to love the looks and have considered getting a 350 facelift, with higher expectation of the engine over the 320, so interested to read your experience, which seems disappointing?

Mine's had lots of owners who have all taken care of it and it's just coming up for 80k miles. I had it mot'd at the main dealers a few weeks ago and the rear subframe was advised with surface rust which is being treated tomorrow. A previous owner had the gearbox plate sorted and it drives very nicely on 19" AMGs. Mine's a 6 seater as I needed cargo space rather than bums on seats, but if I bought another a 7 seater would be more flexible. I often carried 5 plus a wheelchair (father in law), but the poor boot space means one third row seat has to fold down to accommodate the chair. Sadly he's no longer with us, but lesson learnt re lack of boot space, so five passengers in two rows frees up the third row for luggage if needed.

I still need lots of cargo space, and the E class, a V8 5.0l is still on the 'fleet' for the V8 reason. Allowing for the size difference and the smoothness and performance of the V8 against the V6 diesel, I've enjoyed the R more than I thought I would, but it really was a whimsical purchase, as I said. I thought about an R class as a possibilty on a Tuesday and picked it up on the Sunday with no regrets.

OP
OP
S

sweeper

Car
I very much doubt 19” wheels will improve the ride..unless you are downsizing from 20”

I can’t see any comparison between an R class, a glorified minibus, and an XJ limo.
Yes i'm downsizing, i'd say the Viano is a glorified minibus, the comparison is both the Jag and the R had 265bhp and both ride on air, they are about the same length.

OP
OP
S

sweeper

Car
Well I used a R for about three weeks a few years ago,and they are a big 7 seater I found it comfortable and the guys I ferried around in it had no gripes,the R has never been popular and it shows in the second hand price,as you found they tend to have a number of small faults because people live with them as they need 7 seats and money is in short supply,at least you are handy with a spanner and so the faults are put right quickly and well at the cost of parts,for me it did not do anything very well but was ok for lugging people and cases.
I found the prices high, especially for the face lifted, which benefit from more power and less road tax, plus I think they look better, you could get a S class cheaper and a E half the price, I do like a bargain and will usually go for one with a few miles (the Viano has done 324000), the R is huge and adults can sit in the third row and now i have driven it a bit more it is growing on me, I made the wrong comparison, I should compare with the outgoing Outlander which is what it really replaced and she took the Viano for ferrying kids and junk, against the Outlander the R is bigger, faster, almost as economical, on a run at least, looks better and is probably cheaper to run, it rides better (even with the 20" wheels) and only scores lower on handling where the steering is less sharp and the weight can be felt (it actually weighs more than the Viano). But I feel I may need a replacement for the Jaguar to fill a slot, i'm thinking of a toy, maybe something sporty!

ChipChop

MB Enthusiast
Car
S210 320cdi w201 190d 2.5
I found the prices high, especially for the face lifted, which benefit from more power and less road tax, plus I think they look better, you could get a S class cheaper and a E half the price, I do like a bargain and will usually go for one with a few miles (the Viano has done 324000), the R is huge and adults can sit in the third row and now i have driven it a bit more it is growing on me, I made the wrong comparison, I should compare with the outgoing Outlander which is what it really replaced and she took the Viano for ferrying kids and junk, against the Outlander the R is bigger, faster, almost as economical, on a run at least, looks better and is probably cheaper to run, it rides better (even with the 20" wheels) and only scores lower on handling where the steering is less sharp and the weight can be felt (it actually weighs more than the Viano). But I feel I may need a replacement for the Jaguar to fill a slot, i'm thinking of a toy, maybe something sporty!
The facelift R class is a much better looking car imho. There was another R class thread on here and a member who is in the trade expressed the opinion that many R classes have had a hard life as mum buses. Despite this i like them especially the R500.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom