R Class --- should I buy one ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
Your thoughts please.

Should I replace my S211 with an R Class. Anyone have one that could share experience please. I need 6 seats and the eclass jump seats will become too small soon.

I would consider it. Same engines as the rest of the line-up but in a very useable package.

Big old smoker.

Edited:

I'd compare against the price of a ML of the same age/spec/miles etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

The materials inside are a big step back from your S211, they're thirsty for a diesel, when the third row of seats are up you have no boot space, the front end looks like someone from BMW designed it (i.e. bad on purpose)

I could go on...

Nothing wrong with r class. We have had a few in the family and I've sold countless number of them.

As with most used cars there are some options that aren't worth the risk of them going wrong - airmatic springs to mind!

Granted They don't look attractive but I think they are very comfortable to drive.

The boot thing is correct. It basically doesn't have one if using all the seats..

However these are all minor issues. It all depends what you want the car for. It suited us for years until we didn't require 6 seats anymore and we now have an s class for a family car.

Last edited:
My opinion is aligned with Jays, nothing wrong with the car sure its not the prettiest and there's no boot room with the seats up and the interior is slightly plasticy and no where near the quality of the 211 but the R class is good at what it does and does it fairly reliably airmatic excepted. A decent all round family motor IMHO

I'll still say NO whilst I respect others opinions.
I think they are excessively expensive to maintain. The engine is buried under the bulkhead/ the battery requires the seat removing for replacement. If the secondary battery fails you'll need to remove the carpet as well and other gubbins to replace it. And it will fail.
Everything you buy for it is ......plus some ££££ because it's an R class.
Brakes are overpriced ( unless you go aftermarket ) and then they will squeak like hell after a few thousand miles.
Many came out of the factories with can short circuit faults ( looms weren't run and tied correctly behind the dashboards). Only reason I know this is from hours of head scratching and pulling cars to pieces .
I'm not a fan

Sorry

And I could go on

I'll still say NO whilst I respect others opinions.
I think they are excessively expensive to maintain. The engine is buried under the bulkhead/ the battery requires the seat removing for replacement. If the secondary battery fails you'll need to remove the carpet as well and other gubbins to replace it. And it will fail.
Everything you buy for it is ......plus some ££££ because it's an R class.
Brakes are overpriced ( unless you go aftermarket ) and then they will squeak like hell after a few thousand miles.
Many came out of the factories with can short circuit faults ( looms weren't run and tied correctly behind the dashboards). Only reason I know this is from hours of head scratching and pulling cars to pieces .
I'm not a fan

Sorry

And I could go on

I'd take that as a definite no then:D

That's enough for me. ... GL ?

GL and ML
Most of my previous post applies to all 3 tbh.
And my wife drives a W164 ML :doh:
But I do like the GL.

Delighted to read all of this - my next door neighbour, who is a royal PITA, not too long ago swopped his c. 2001 S class for an R320L. I could not wish the above fun on anyone else!! Hope he falls foul of all of them, while I cruise past in my lovely S204.

My in-laws had an R350L (petrol) for a good few years, virtually trouble-free (daily driver). I was in it a fair bit as a passenger and it seemed pretty decent.

But ... if you don't actually need 4WD an E class estate would probably make more sense IMHO.

WG M-B said:
I'll still say NO whilst I respect others opinions. I think they are excessively expensive to maintain. The engine is buried under the bulkhead/ the battery requires the seat removing for replacement. If the secondary battery fails you'll need to remove the carpet as well and other gubbins to replace it. And it will fail. Everything you buy for it is ......plus some ££££ because it's an R class. Brakes are overpriced ( unless you go aftermarket ) and then they will squeak like hell after a few thousand miles. Many came out of the factories with can short circuit faults ( looms weren't run and tied correctly behind the dashboards). Only reason I know this is from hours of head scratching and pulling cars to pieces . I'm not a fan Sorry And I could go on

My Indy mirrors these comments, I still love the look of the R class though.

I'd have a facelift R350 L CDi without qualms.

Supreme motorway cruiser, as quiet as the S Class, much more comfortable than E, ust the right height to slide into and out of without having to climb/stoop, huge carrying capacity with seats down way bigger than E Class, 4Matic helped me wade a muddy and flooded road which I'd have detoured in anything else (save ML/GL obv).

Negative side is that it's a complete barge around town as it's effectively a vertically challenged GL, can be heavy on fuel.

Last edited:
Autocar magazine ( next door to my work ) ran an R63 a few years back

Looked and sounded the business , but would no doubt leave you living in a box under a flyover within a few months of owning it.

.....and on the late 7 seat L I had, there was a bit of a boot, enough for the shopping bags and coats etc for the 6 of us. The rear seats is a 60/40 split jobbie so the single seat can be folded forward for more storage if needed.

S211 is better in almost every way.
My mother has a R320L cdi and has had for several years.
Hers has been pretty reliable on the whole.
Airmatic compressor, 1 rear strut, glow plugs and then consumables and servicing for the last few years. As stated, it eats brakes and tyres.

It's just not that great at anything, bit of a compromise in all directions. Wind noise and tyre roar are very noticeable compared to the S211.

Fit and finish of the interior isn't all that either.

Fuel consumption is really bad.

Handling is non existent and ride is too firm, even with airmatic. With so much body roll you could excuse it, if the ride was anywhere near as good as an S class for example. It's not.

Don't believe the marketing rubbish from MB...they marketed it as an S class for a family.

To sum up, It's a car for the american market and for people who make purchasing decisions with their heart rather than their head.

.....and on the late 7 seat L I had, there was a bit of a boot, enough for the shopping bags and coats etc for the 6 of us. The rear seats is a 60/40 split jobbie so the single seat can be folded forward for more storage if needed.

Yes, I know on the later models they fixed two very big issues:

1) made the front end a lot better looking

and

2) instigated a more seven seat approach i.e. 5 + 2 as opposed to 2 + 2 + 2.

The 2 captain style middle seats are the best bit of the R class for me. Not the most practical, but nice to be a passenger in one of those.

Ok forget it. My wife says she'll leave me if she sees one parked outside....

Maybe I should get one lol .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom