R Class - starting problems - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timwood2000

Car
R320 CDI SE LWB '07, BENTLEY CONTINENTAL FLYING SPUR MULLINER '06, FIAT 500 LOUNGE '58 & BMW R1200RT
For a while now, when starting from cold, the engine turns over fine, but doesn't start for about 8-10 seconds, followed by a small cloud of dark exhaust fumes at the back.

It hasn't got worse (or better), but starts fine when warmed up. Batteries are fairly new.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks
Tim

For a while now, when starting from cold, the engine turns over fine, but doesn't start for about 8-10 seconds, followed by a small cloud of dark exhaust fumes at the back.

It hasn't got worse (or better), but starts fine when warmed up. Batteries are fairly new.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks
Tim

Get the injectors tested and fuel lines too.

320CDI - starting problems -Injectors

Sounds like an injector issue.

BTW - The title for this thread should have been 320 CDI starting problem -

You would have attracted more replies as the problem is the engine not the model.

There'll be loads of people who've seen the same problem in other vehicles

How old are the glow plugs?

My money is on the Glow plug module relay. Very common on the V6 CDI and symptoms more prominent on cold / winter days. It could also be a faulty glow plug. Get it checked on a STAR Diagnosis first before dashing out the dollars.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

Good point about the glow plugs - a few years old for sure. Thanks

My money is on the Glow plug module relay. Very common on the V6 CDI and symptoms more prominent on cold / winter days. It could also be a faulty glow plug. Get it checked on a STAR Diagnosis first before dashing out the dollars.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

I second that!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom