R107 300SL Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kdh

Car
E Class 320cdi Estate
I'm after a R107 300 SL preferably in dark blue or silver.

Posting here because I'd like an enthusiast-owned car that's been looked after and had money spent on it.

Budget is up to £15k.

I'm not a messer, dreamer or tyre-kicker and have immediate funds available for the right car.

I'm based in East Sussex.

Many thanks.

Good luck with that. My friend bought one last year with a £15k budget and it was very hard work to buy any decent R107 for that price. All were rusty knackered old cars... we looked at about 12 allegedly very good cars. Beware of bulkhead rust especially, we took an endoscope to check for this but some vendors are very reluctant to allow you to remove the blower cover to check it. . He eventually bought a 180,000 mile car in reasonable condition and has spent another £7k getting it up to scratch.
Personally I think the days of £15k R107's have gone especially post facelift cars unless you strike very lucky. Let us know how it goes but caveat emptor.

That's good advice, appreciated, many thanks.

Looking through the classifieds prices seem to be all over the place, with good ones around £20,000
I think I may have missed the boat.

I'm actually looking for an investment that I can pootle around in too. I thought the SL would be a good one.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping it for a while then a good R129 SL would probably fit the bill. Prices for those seem to have bottomed out and are slowly on the way up. For £10k+ you should get something pretty decent that's not on starship mileage. They don't rust like 107s but obviously have some extra complexity with the hood and rollbar that needs to be checked carefully. I've had mine for 13 years now, and with light usage (it's on 58k miles) it has needed very little attention other than routine servicing. It's not for sale btw, so this isn't a disguised advert! :D

Thanks Bill. The old cliche applies - massive amount of car for the money.

Any particular models to avoid or are they all good. I do hate talking about investments btw, but it's the only way to get it past her indoors.

Last edited:
Any particular models to avoid or are they all good.

For many people (including me) the 500 is the sweet spot. The smaller 6-cyls (280 especially) have to work a fair bit harder as it's a relatively heavy car. The 600 is a V12 with a fair bit of extra complexity and weight. The SL60 AMG (6 litre V8) is lovely but rare and very expensive.

6-cyl cars are cheaper and more numerous, so it might take some time to find the 'right' V8. Prices vary a lot and you'll probably find don't necessarily reflect the condition of the car!

There are quite a few R129 buying threads on here with lots of general advice but if you have any specific questions just shout!

There is avery nice 129 320 for sale at Coupe and Cabriolet website advertised at £11995. I believe that there is some movement on that too. Coupeandcabriolet.co.uk

Last edited:
There is a very nice 320 R129 for sale at Coupeandcabriolet.co.uk for £11995, I believe there is some movement on that price.

Liquid silver said:
There is a very nice 320 R129 for sale at Coupeandcabriolet.co.uk for £11995, I believe there is some movement on that price.

But in that colour? No wonder it's the best part of £10k cheaper than their other R129 stock...

That looks a really good company to buy from, thanks for that link.

Agreed about the colour though, not my thing.

Thank you for the link. He's looking for £15k.

Red doesn't really do it for me I'm afraid and I'm not a fan of piped seats. I'm not sure about that one.

I have a feeling I'm living in a bit of a time warp price wise. Everything seems so expensive.

Hmmm that's a lot more than I imagined. I was thinking at sub 10k it could make a good running project to slowly restore.

I like red but only because :D

bhc-main.jpg

Yes that car needs plenty of work by the look of it. To sort out both bumpers will cost you upwards of a grand to start with. Keep your eyes open though something nicer will turn up.

Thanks. I'm certainly not in the market for bills like that. From what I've read, bulkheads are a nasty expense too.

That looks a really good company to buy from, thanks for that link.

Agreed about the colour though, not my thing.

That's probably the reason it has been up for sale for so long. Nevertheless, it is still a very nice car and someone will love it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom