R107 350sl 1974 correct ATF fluid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2117kh

Car
r107 350sl
Hi everybody

I have tried looking around on google for correct spec for the auto transmission fluid for a 1974 350sl. It maybe me but cant seem to get details.

I can get service parts from local Merc dealer but they say not sure on fluid spec as car is too old. cant seem to find it on EPC either

I have been advised by local garage only to use genuine fluid for this car too.

any advice appreciated

cheers

EPC won't state the recommended oil but WIS should

EDIT: It may be too old

Last edited:
1975 350sl ATF

Thanks for this quick reply

Forgive my lack of knowledge but is the WIS in the same place as the EPC?
I subscribed to this last year.

cheers
k

If you've subscribed to the EPC directly then it doesn't come with WIS. You need any reputable make of Dexron III ATF fluid. Is this to change the fluid or just a top-up?

1974 350sl ATF

Hi
Thanks for message

It would be for a complete change. Car has been stood for some time, have rebuilt all engine/fuel (djet) side of the car but still seemed sluggish.

So had the car rolling roaded, bhp was fine (208 I think) but the tuner reckoned the old ATF might be affecting performance on the road

He recommended only using genuine ATF but I am getting difficulty in my local dealership finding out what I need, I guess due to cars age. Dont want to put the wrong stuff in though as you can imagine

cheers
k

So...you need to also drain the torque convertor to liberate all the old fluid, there's more in there than in the 'box.
This is by a 5mm Allen key drain plug got at by turning the engine over slowly on the crankshaft nut and watching in the small gap at the bottom of the bell housing.
Also take down the gearbox sump and clean meticulously before replacing the filter and sump gasket. Lower it evenly or you'll empty the remaining 1/2ltr up your arm. The sump bolts are to be tightened no more than 8Nm or you might distort the flange and get leaks.
There is a copper washer under the sump drain and an ally one under the TQ drain.
Get them and a new filter and gasket from Merc.
Having done all that refill via the dip tube and run the car up to working temp before dipping with the engine running, in neutral or park and on level ground having run the gears through a sequence.

If you must have genuine fluid tell the dealer it's the same stuff as a W124. Probably will take about 8ltrs for a complete change.

Last edited:
re 1974 350sl ATF

Hi Druk
Thanks once more for your help

I did another google trawl last night and still nothing definite...only U.S sites seem to give any indication of whats needed apart from the FEBI site which lists my car.

One U.S did mention that for this age of car 'non synthetic fluid' is essential
Is the 124 fluid this type?

thanks again
K

Dextron II is what you need.

Available from all good motorfactors

re 1974 350sl ATF

Thanks once more everybody for your advice. will get it sorted now.

k

Any Dextron III compatible fluid will be just fine. I have had several 722.0-722.3 cars and never had a problem using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom