R107 500SL vacuum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tarapoochy

Car
1984 500SL and 2013 SL350
Hi all,

I really need some help trying to fathom the whole vacuum system on my 1983 500SL.

I have just aquired the car after the previous owner passed away. He was part way through a bit of renovation and the car had to be thrown together a bit to sell. Most things I can sort out, but I cannot fathom the vacuum system. I know various bits are missing, like the whole reservoir in the right front wing and have managed easily enough to get that, with bracket. But although the vacuum system on the engine seems to be working, the central locking system and heater controls seem to not have been connected. None of the heater controls work and as you can see from the picture the multiple connector behind the battery at the back of the engine seems to have a couple of screws on some of the arms where presumable some vacuum pipes should be connected. Trouble is I have no idea what should connect to what and where!

Does anyone have any deep knowledge of the system or a link to a diagram showing how it should be connected, even if it is only schematic?

All help gratefully received.

Rick

Attachments

• 500SL Vacuum.jpg
    500SL Vacuum.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 13
Where, roughly, are you based? It might be easier to point you at another local owner. Unless you have aircon the only vacuum associated with the heater is a micro-switch triggered by the levers being at the bottom position where it then operates the water valve on the bulkhead.

I am based around Eastern Northamptonshire, near Rushden. Anyone out there with an early 80's 500SL I could compare with?

Annual gathering of the 'Owners Club' SL Day is this Sunday at the Flywheel event at Bicester. More 107's than you can shake a stick at. Someone there will help you.

flywheelfestival.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom