R107 Engine Swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slfanuk

Car
R107 soon to be 55AMG, 1967 - 250SL Pagoda, 2017 Range Rover SVR, 2016 Land Rover Discovery Landmark
Hi,

I'm a 'newbie' on the site but far from a newbie when it comes to all things cars. This however is my first MB project and I thought I might save my time by asking if someone has gone before me and can help me "out plan the foul ups", if you know what I mean.

In short, I have had an R107 380 for about 10 years now and it has been a faithful friend. I then made the silly mistake of sending it to a body shop for some light restoration.. Well, 2 years later and a healthy 5 figure sum, replacing sills (inner and outer) offside chassis leg, both inner front wings, front outer wings, new rear quarters both sides, new boot floor, new passenger footwell, bulkhead repair etc etc etc etc etc etc

So, I now have a brand new R107 bodyshell and was getting ready to refit the old donkey when an opportunity arose and yes, I know every purist out there will be screaming at their keyboard ready to hurl abuse but, and I will be polite here - I don't care.. I want something different, original and fun and no matter how nice my 380'could/would have been, it wouldn't be any of those things.

So what was the opportunity?

a M113 engined CLK55 AMG complete literally fell in to my lap.. so what begins now is a complete drivetrain swap - engine, box, brakes, diff, loom etc etc.

We have been looking at the feasibility of it for a while now and yes there is a ton of work to be done, fabrication and electrical but thankfully it all looks doable.. I was just wondering if anyone has gone down this path before.

There seem to be plenty of 'halfway houses' with people swapping just the motor in several R107's but no one seems to go the whole hog, to bring the complete drivetrain across? If I'm wrong, I would love to hear from them..

So, the cutting and shutting starts tomorrow in anger and any advice will be gladly received. In fact, let me rephrase that, any constructive advice gladly received.

Thanks in advance and I will keep you all posted on how I go..

Simon

P.S. was going to attach some images but have not yet worked that out, so help on that from also encouraged (doesn't bode well that I can't use the forum but am taking on such a project, hey-ho)

Wow, keep me informed

ec4eace1d238af49d112c0cffc13e9b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting project. I've done something similar to a 107 and run into all sorts of hurdles, none of them insurmountable.

Not "another" diesel 107!! - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

You first problem might be the front crossmember which, on the older cars, is not relieved in way of the later sumps so has to be modified. UK MOT rules now state that no mods or welding be done to any component within 12" of a suspension bearing item. Also, I will be interested to see if you manage to get the 722.6 gearbox to fit the tunnel as I'm inclined to go down the automatic route some day.

Last edited:
Hi DRUK (im sure you have areal name)

The front crossmember has been looked at quite a lot as you can imagine. My business is and has been for a long time motorsport and welding/cutting closer than 12" to a suspension bearing item is one of the very first things you do with the build of any road car based competition car and never once have any of those vehicles (which are built to far higher stress tolerances) had an issue with MOT - just think of every seem welded and competition turreted Rally Car for example, all of which as road legal and continue to be produced in high numbers around the UK.

With that in mind we are fabricating, modifying and strengthening the subframe to accommodate the new motor and will 'take our chances' with the MOT, but i do take on board your point so thanks.

As for the transmission tunnel and the gearbox, the first trial fit will be happening next week and any modifications that need doing will be documented and photographed, so i can share those with you in case you wish to do the same at a later date.

For me, the headache is the integration of the vehicle electronics but as we are taking the CLK loom complete (minus a few obvious deletions) and losing nearly the whole R107 loom, the team assure me that it wont be too difficult - i say famous last words and can foresee many hours/days chasing wires through the car..

The intention for the build is to end up with and dependant on your view point - an R107 with a complete CLK AMG drivetrain and electronics OR a rebodied CLK AMG. So we are going to try and retain all elements of the CLK electronics, from ignition key through to traction control.

There are easier things to do with your time but as i can see from your build, who wants easy when you can have what you want...

7920cc43ee37133a47190b0652746859.jpg

All work completed and engine in for first fit.. all good, just need the new engine mounts (should have been here last week but delayed until Thursday) to drop the front of the motor into it correct position.

Gearbox all in place with selector in and connected. New fuse box and ECU mount being fabricated under passenger side of the dash which should be finished on Monday.

Starting on the rear diff, end of next week before attacking the AMG brake fitment.. Busy, busy, busy but all going to plan - so far..

Going to fit some suspension from the SL Shop, part of their Sportline range to tie it all up nicely.

Aim is to get all in place with final fit within the next 2-3 weeks, so it can all be torn down in time for the body shop, where all of the parts old and new (mainly new) will be brought up to better than factory finish..

Will it be ready for a summer drive??? Probably not but here's hoping..

194e4c6974f7e0db381fd3a73f88e699.jpg

What used to be someone's pride and joy, now looking rather sad for itself.. a few more pieces to take out from the engine bay and many electrics before she makes her final journey.. quite sad to see really..

Although I have another project in mind for that AMG interior...

Great project and love the garage. Keep us all posted as this will be amazing when finished. What colour are you planning ?

Are you breaking the rest of the car?. I could do with some bits. pm if you can. Thanks.

Hi,

The car is gong back to its original Mercedes Red colour with black leather retrim (if I can find a good interior guy).. Hopefully when everything is in and working it will be just what I have been looking for, as I have been struggling to find the 'right toy' for a very long time now as I wanted something different. I am lucky enough to have done the super/hypercar thing and now I am embarking on making exactly what I want, instead of what manufacturers think I want.

As well as this project, I am doing the same thing to a classic 4x4, a V-Twin 80's motorbike and an early 2000's bowrider boat. All keeping their classic good lines, but having completely modern drivetrains (and interiors) installed. With the SL, I am keeping the interior completely stock though. So plenty going on..

SpoonJar, I haven't quite worked out how to PM yet, or if I am allowed to yet being a 'newb' but all of the bits I don't need on the CLK are up for grabs, so let me know.

Simon

SpoonJar, I just saw this when looking how to PM you "Dear slfanuk, You will not be able to use the Private message facility or reply/post to classified threads unless you have a 30 post count"

As this will only be my 10th post, I am a way off that..

Any ideas, let me know.

So, today's little challenge - brakes..

As I have said, the car will lose the standard old SL brakes and will have the CLK AMG discs and calipers, complete with ABS fitted. I am keen to keep the car as 'standard' as possible and by that I mean, when this car 'wakes up' I want the ECU to not know that things have changed. All sensors in place and talking, so the ABS/braking system in it's entirety is coming across from the master cylinder through to the calipers.

To achieve this I have the small problem of offset and suspension connections to deal with.

The first thought was to cut the front chassis off of the CLK and attach it to the SL but track width and also wanting to keep the SL more intact quickly ruled that out (although it does fit very nicely, I have the CAD Drawings with the inner and outer wing modifications). So having ruled that out, we decided on a hybrid suspension.

Using the original SL wishbones, with upgraded springs/dampers, we are going to attach the CLK hub. Now those of you that know both of these cars, know that both hubs are massively different and there is no way that you can fit one to the other (see photo). To get around this, I have cheated a little - step forward PRODRIVE..

The hubs will be heading off to them tomorrow for the new CNC billet machined hub 'knuckles' to be fitted. These will in effect allow the new AMG hub to fit directly to the R107 wishbones. Not cheap but this is such a key piece of the jigsaw it wasn't worth compromising on. When they are back, I will post photos.

So, that's that problem dealt with..

Now, back to planning the interior and dash instruments..

Simon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. We need pics NOW! Are you retaining the 107 steering or perchance putting a rack in there?

I will be using the CLK steering complete..

8db88cc61cfad5b433ab4a39ae67c454.jpg

Complete aside but my bike project is nearing completion and thought I would get a sounding from you all..

It's the same (ish) principal as the SL, with a mix of old and new to build exactly what I want.. It started with a 1982 Yamaha TR1. I have kept the frame and engine, then had. Triumph Speed Triple front and rear end fitted (after much fabrication) a tank from a 1970's Bennelli and a custom seat..

The issue is, this 'retro-modding' is becoming a little bit of an addiction, as I bought another Mercedes yesterday for another project.. think I need help..

AnywY, back to the SL. I noticed the brake photos didn't upload yesterday for some reason.

As you can see from the picture, the hub knuckles are massively different but the new PRODRIVE hubs should be done within 2 weeks.. can't wait..
599f47f89f92eb048bf055b2aed53027.jpg

095d8ab9b988d6ea9cb7a1bff6bd89cb.jpg
a85cb5b3d74a9b945f9915ebd09568af.jpg

Not the best of photos.. but these were taken when we finished with the prototype knuckle design..

Hopefully should stop the old girl..

I got ever so slightly distracted whilst doing the R107... I bought a W111 with a horrible Diesel engine fitted to it.. Cue another transplant....

2930971bf38fc4f8585e29d89797ab96.jpg
15bf01e7ffb91936d591fc2384344951.jpg
21e57fafa38047b4f5072507f4fe57f6.jpg

Out with the ghastly diesel and a beautiful 560 V8 is prepared and nearly ready to go in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom