r107 footwell airflow / lever control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Viajero

Car
r107 sl
The passenger foot well airflow of my 1986 300sl does not shut off with the result that passengers' feet are soon baking and the dashboard itself also gets very hot after an hour or two of constant driving. It appears the the left most sliding air flow 'lever' in the console (which I believe controls the airflow to the footwell) is not functioning - I can hear some sort of flap opening/closing when I move the other three levers up and down, but hear nothing when the left hand lever is moved up/ down. Do any forum members have any advice on how I can shut off the airflow to the footwell/get the lever to function properly?

Does the lever move to the top of the slot? If not pull it out slightly from the slot to give it more clearance. It is held by a spring clip.
Next: If you remove the glovebox liner there is a rod connection with an 8mm pinchbolt which can get slack. Check and tighten that.
If that is not it then the foam seal has probably degraded in the heater box. Repair of that is a whole different ballgame. :(

Druk, that is extremely helpful - the lever has enough space to move, so I will remove the glovebox liner on Saturday morning to check the connection. I've never tried opening the glovebox, I'm hoping it'll be a matter of locating and undoing some screws etc.

It might also be possible to access the rod via taking down the underdash panel, can't remember which is best. I'll ask someone who might know and get back to you soon.

info to pass on. There is a control cable (as well as the rod) attached to the lever and that can come adrift and is the first thing to check. You will have to remove the heater control panel to get access. Do you know how to do this?

Druk, thank you for checking this, it is very kind of you to take the time. I have previously opened the console panel to clean it, but did not try fiddling with the heater controls at the time - opening the console was straightforward enough (pull off levers, remove the ashtray and take off the panel). I will open it again and see if i can locate the cable - given that I can't hear any vents open/close, it would make sense that the cable has come adrift. I will do this on Saturday and post back.

Apparently a miniature tiewrap stops it recurring.

Did you know the trick of sticking some tape to the gearchange panel just in front of the ashtray to stop it scratching on removal?

I in fact did not know the tape trick, but I will fasten some on to avoid scratching the gear console - especially given that this is the fourth time in as many weeks that I'll be opening the console!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom