R107 roof tonneau flap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adit1

Car
Various
Help!

Hi guys. i am in a bit of bother. the soft top is raised on my R107, but i cannot put it down because i cannot raise the roof cover flap. i have done it before, but now when i try turning the levers on the left rear interior, they just do not release the cover. :wallbash: Has the cable snapped? Is there an alternative method of releasing the latches? The chrome covers do not seem to come off to expose the latches (i don't wish to get violent with them) either.
i have searched the internet/google/forums but am finding no help anywhere it seems.
any help gratefully appreciated :thumb:

(Mods please move if in incorrect section)

I sometimes get a similar problem with my roof. Try releasing the rear of the hood first which should make it easy to "jiggle" the front rail. Roof may be rather taut .

The cable has snapped. You need a pencil torch to look into the slot and see how the catch releases.

ps. The chrome covers are held by screws inside the lid. There's not a way to release them with the lid down.

The centre soft top bow pin is released by cable, the soft top cover latches are operated by rods. The chrome plates are also bolted from inside the roof compartment.

Thank you guys. Just to clarify, i can release the front rail and the rear bow of the soft top, it is the roof cover/tonneau flap which i cannot raise, in order to fold the roof away.
So, SMS, is it still possible to release the soft top cover latches if they are operated by rods? If so, how, please?

Thank you guys. Just to clarify, i can release the front rail and the rear bow of the soft top, it is the roof cover/tonneau flap which i cannot raise, in order to fold the roof away.
So, SMS, is it still possible to release the soft top cover latches if they are operated by rods? If so, how, please?

I think you can get a very small screwdriver or pick down the side of the chromes and ouch catch back. Never had to do it but I would think it's possible.

Are both side latches not releasing? The N/S is a direct link from the lever. The O/S is a cable operated by a bellcrank from a link from the lever. It's not unknown for the soft metal clevis pin in this linkage to break or for the cable to snap. If the nearside is open but the offside isn't this will be your problem.

Last edited:
Are both side latches not releasing? The N/S is a direct link from the lever. The O/S is a cable operated by a bellcrank from a link from the lever. It's not unknown for the soft metal clevis pin in this linkage to break or for the cable to snap. If the nearside is open but the offside isn't this will be your problem.

it seems not.
it sounds like i'm going to get the disc cutter out! i can't be the first owner who has had this problem surely :wallbash:
i found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhjJUWMa89E

if you look at around 08:40, there is a fairly good shot of the set-up.
i'm thinking of cutting a small access hole in the sides (above the levers on the left side), then seeing if i can release the catches with a narrow screwdriver

Does anyone know the correct procedure for raising and lowering the soft top? i have searched on Youtube but there doesn't seem to be anything very informative. i.e. what is the correct position for the big and small levers when releasing the back of the soft top, raising the tonneau flap, folding the roof away and then the reverse procedure? many thanks

This is a pic from the workshop manual describing the static lever positions.

If I understand your original problem it's that the cover won't release? The large handle has to be rotated approx 1/4 turn anti-clockwise (from inside the car looking at it) to release the two opposite catches of the lid. If this is not working please deduce whether or not both sides or one side only is not releasing. This is because they are effectively two separate systems and for them both to be not working there is something strange going on in there.

And...please don't post any more pleas for help under the General Discussion header. This thread is just fine and is monitored by those interested. Thanks.

With the aid of none too willing swmbo I made this short vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVb3Tlt1Zn8

The lever works the N/S mech directly, you can see it operating. The rod then goes to the bell crank in the second part of the vid and it works a cable which goes to the O/S release. The inner rod from the bellcrank is secondary to the lid opening mech and works the rear catch when the tension release is activated.

[YOUTUBE]AVb3Tlt1Zn8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Great, thanks Derek.
What workshop manual is that? I have the Haynes one and it mentions absolutely nothing whatsoever about the convertible roof.
Correct, i can release the rear of the roof/soft top by moving lever 1, but it will not operate the cover catches to release and raise the cover, in order to fold the roof away.
I wonder what lever 2's purpose is?
Ok, understood, i just hoped that there may be more than two R107 owners on this forum.
Grateful thanks again for the video.
I think the only solution is for me to cut an access hole on each side of the roof compartment.
I'm not sure what "swmbo" or "BORKED" mean, sorry.

Lever 1, the large one, is the one that's rotated anti-clock to release the lid catches and also tensions the top once it is initially latched.

Lever 2, the small one, operates the central pin release only.

It's a factory workshop manual I have. Two huge volumes but they're for very early models so not all applications are covered.

swmbo is 'she who must be obeyed' :D

Borked means I made an **** of uploading the vid. :wallbash:

Last edited:
Update: I cut a small hole (60x70mm) in the roof storage compartment just above the levers and managed to pull and push to release the tonneau flap, so i can now fold the roof down, woohoo! there were a couple of clips, washers, etc loose in the compartment, so some details drawings of the workings are required with replacement said parts (the stealers should be able to supply these) for a "rebuild". It really is quite a complicated, elaborate and over-engineered set-up, compared to say a BMW E30 in my opinion.
Hopefully i have saved a few hundred euros from asking the local garage to sort it.

Last edited:
Just in case there is any interest on here (although there doesn't seem to be), i found this on a very good forum:

Thanks, but FYI most of the guys on here who have 107's (and there aren't many) are fully conversant with how to raise and lower the top. Personally, I've only been doing it since 2002 so am a relative novice.

Yes, I should hope so, but i thought the caring for, cleaning and requirements sections were quite informative, but as you say, maybe there are hardly any newbie R107 owners on here.
Lol, only fifteen years, times a couple of sunny days per year?
In that case, i am an extreme novice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom