R107 Rusty Bulkhead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colgate

Car
SL 280, S 320
Evening All,
I am looking for someone to carry out some welding on my R107 1985 280SL.
The bulkhead has rotted away at either side. I can add photos if necessary. Need some quotes please. Car runs but i have removed the dash and its sorn, i am in chelmsford essex.
Col

Post up some pictures of the areas you need repairing. Were you thinking of a mobile welder type mot repair, or a proper trailer away to a workshop restoration job?

I have space to work here re mobile, i just want a good job done. What would you suggest?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 267
Another photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 252
I want to restore her

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 194
Hi,
When I had my C43 outer sill and jacking point replaced I used a guy called Paul Baker, web site below check out the pics under the various cars he is an old school time served coach builder and is truly a master of metal as the pics on the web site testify too, i believe he has a 107 himself so should be familiar with the model though i don,t believe his has needed as much work as yours appears to need. Be warned though repairs like this will not be cheap.
Car Welding Hampshire, Classic Car Welding, Classic Car Restoration by Paul Baker Custom Metalwork, Hampshire UK

The problems with that repair are going to be access, finding something good to weld to and remaking a hole for the heater connection

What's the rest of the car like?

Nick Froome

Looking at the pictures I think you will struggle to find a mobile welder that will take the job on, there are some complex shapes there that need skill to replicate properly. Seeing as you want to restore her, the best thing would be to take the car to a restoration workshop for a decent job.

Anyone can weld a plate over that hole, but there are not many that will do it properly.

The problems with that repair are going to be access, finding something good to weld to and remaking a hole for the heater connection

What's the rest of the car like?

Nick Froome

Hi Nick,
Passenger footwell has rust but hasn't gone through. Rest of the bodywork is solid. I have got the engine running now. Interior is clean. Only problem is the rust shown and most of the rubbers on doors etc are perishing.

I read somewhere that someone had cut their bulkhead out and replaced with another, maybe that would be easier?

Thanks
Col

best way for this is to cut back to clean metal, buy a full repair panel, cut it to form correct pieces, weld it on.

I would check the rest of the car thoroughly - that's a lot of rust. Check in the engine bay under the battery and servo at the other side, check the front chassis legs as they go into the front bumper, and most of all, remove the bungs from the bottom of the outer sills, the chrome trim that runs the length of the sill, and the interior sill cover and carpet - then have a good peer inside to see how the inner sill is fairing.

As above, repair panel to do the job properly so that it goes back together (relatively) hassle free.

Edited to say that I'm now going outside to stick another coat of wasxoyl over mine :eek:.

Also check the sill blanking ends inside the wheelarches. Tap them with a hammer front and rear. I've seen some rusty bulkheads but your one takes the biscuit so I'd be surprised if the arches are sound.

SLpictures036.jpg

Last edited:
I think the guy from Merc Tec has done a fair few.. He posted some pictures up on the official club forum the other day...

The problems with that repair are going to be access, finding something good to weld to and remaking a hole for the heater connectionNick Froome

That's not the heater connection showing there Nick. It's the wiper through shaft. :eek: How on earth did it get that bad?
Hate to say this but it looks beyond repair to me. :(

Nothing is beyond repair.
I've done hundreds of these with 100% success but yours does look pretty extensive. I'd be very surprised if the rest of the car was rust free.
I recently enquired with MB whether the full bulkhead panel was still available and there was ONE left in Germany and it was, IIRC, something in the order of £3000. I was tempted to buy it for stock as it was the last one but didn't so you might still be lucky.

^ I meant 'economic' wise. ;) I realise nothing is ever beyond it but somewhere along the way you just have to draw the line. :dk:
From pic #1 it looks like the rust might go up as far as the windscreen flange. That would be a fun repair. :wallbash:
I looked on the SLS site for a bulkhead but they just refer you back to Merc: so none there either, or the scuttle panel above.

Last edited:
I purchased the car from a lady in wales who sorn and garaged it in the winter. Apparently the exhaust started to blow and so not knowing where to get it repaired the womans step son offered to get it fixed. For some reason he kept the car for a year, upon returning the car she found that he had not secured the hard top and rain water had gotten into the car. She left the car parked up for another year and it went to rack and ruin. The story sounded suspect to me but withoout going to veiw the car i paid her £2000 for it.
The history showed the car had been well maintained throughout, having a complete engine rebuild only 5000 miles ago which runs as sweet as a nut. The soft top is brand new and there is many original parts in very good condition so i think i could make my money back if i broke up but i really wanted to restore her.
Whilst checking the car out i noticed the wipers werent working but i could hear the motor running, i pulled the glovebox and to my horror found the rust as in the photos. I set about removing the dash to reveal the extend of rot, i confess i did gasp and swear a little! Upon further investigation i found plastic bags had been pushed into the water vents on top of the bulkhead, this actually held water rather than draining away which has caused the damage. The rest of the car is solid but the painwork is very dull as its been left under trees, i am ok with replacing or refurbishing the interior and mechanics but i do not have any experience in welding or painting.
I guess i need to get a few quotes to sort the bulkhead and assess from a financial point if it is viable to restore her. Perhaps as my first restore i have bitten off more than i can chew?

I have a local guy who comes highly recommended on his way round to look at her. So hopefully pretty soon i will have a fair indication...... Nervous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom