R107 SL thorough detail/valet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Will, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
  2. wobbly

wobbly Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 ML350 AMG, 1989 500SL Now sold, replaced with 2007 Aston Martin DB9
    I might get the turtle wax out at the weekend;)

3. Gucci

Gucci Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
    Have you checked out their website with pricing? Get yours detailed for £325... likey likey

4. Inkyskin

Inkyskin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Wow, I'd be scared of touching it after that! Imagine the finger prints on the chrome alone...

5. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

Not sure I'd be happy with all that water getting under the laminate surface, potentially lifting it up in months to come... not to mention into the electrics and gearshift surround.

Nice job outside of that though. two people, four days hard graft, brilliant but bonkers.

6. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I must admit, I thought exactly the same thing when I saw that bit.

To be honest, there's a few parts of their work which I would criticise (eg jet wash under the bonnet, etc), but I rarely get the time to do this level of cleaning on my cars these days, so I'll let them off ;)

Will

7. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    jet wash under the bonnet - friend of mine is only a valeter but does a bit of detailing, he says jet wash under the bonnet is fine if you leave the engine running on older cars as it dries out any water that may get inplaces that may damage, newer cars are ok,

also if anybody is thinking of drying their cars with an airline most airlines in factories have an oiler to lubricate all the items connected to the line, some items have an oil seperator and water extraction filter on them (some machines I can think of) but most guns dont, thus you will spray an oil mist over your clean car - these guys must have a drier,

glad to see they put the product they used in the picture so us mere mortals can have a go,

£325, tempting, only needs to be dont once in a blue moon I suppose

8. boeken

boeken Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL500 from 96
    i am looking forward to when i retire (in 30 odd years) and can start to spend some time to do this kind of work, very impressive, at the moment I am pleased if i manage to wash it once a week and apply some wax every other week, but then again i don't have a r107 with lots of chrome!

9. Ade B

Ade B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    I can't see £325 getting you an 8 man day valet - either that or they won't be in business long.

Nice job though..

Ade

10. Adam230K

Adam230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
    Thats amazing to be honest. I thought exactly the same thing about the gear stick surround (from previous experience on my c200 :) )

11. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    i would love to have the time to do something like this on my 124. One day i'll do some of it!!!

as i dont have much time, i keep promising myself that i would tackle one area a week with a deep clean - ie do each passnger section really well. Maybe have a list of areas that i tick off.

12. rajinder_1

rajinder_1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    01' Designo SL320 , 96' C36 AMG, 98' C43 AMG Estate 19' Focus & 96' ZX6R Ninja
    Only thing is once you have done all this unless you are going to keep it dry stored in a garage the car returns to a similar condition, as soon as you wash it the paint work will have the swirls back in it....

Trust me i spent 2 days on my sl exterior and its heart breaking seeing it all revert back, i admit its not straight away but still if id paid £300 for it to be done double gutted.....

nice treat if you have the spare cash...

Raj

13. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Isnt this a little worrying though? (taking the paint off with it?)

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I can't see the pictures from this connection, but at a guess, do you mean there's residue of the paint colour from polishing?

If so, it'll be because it's a cellulose paint system with oxidisation (no lacquer/clear coat)

All that gets removed really is a minute layer of dead paint, to reveal the healthy paint below - leaving a nice lustre.

Sorry if I've got that wrong, as I said - no pictures showing here!

Will

15. KillerHERTZ

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Yep. only small traces of red on the pad/wax :)

16. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    admire the work but its way OTT to go this crazy on your car unless you plan to put it in a museum..

If i had that done, i would not want to take the car out at all, so whats the point in having the car!

a bit of meguires after a wash is about as far as i ever go with my own cars.

17. KillerHERTZ

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Detailing to this level on a classic such as this makes sense, on a brand-new white Astra doesnt...

Each to their own I guess :)

18. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That's pretty normal for old cars with paint like that.

If you were to rotary polish it every week for a year, you might end up going through the paint I guess.

These guys are professionals and used a paint depth guage to measure the thickness of the paint before polishing. In reality, all cars lose some of the coating during polishing, but you'd not notice it on your car because the top coat is clear ;) :)

Will

19. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    It's obviously each to their own.

There's probably 20 years of slight neglect on that car - interior, bodywork, under the bonnet, wheel arches etc.

If anything, it'll probably add £££s if not a grand or two to it's value - if it looks mint people will pay more :)

It's probably sitting in someone's garage now under cover, and if you clean it properly from now on, will be much easier to maintain this standard of presentation, especially if it's only doing low mileage and used in good weather :cool:

Will

20. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    The pic of the claybar with paint on was from the door shuts IRRC. It was mentioned that hte car has had some paintwork over theyears, to complete panels. I suspect this is overspray being lifted of in the door shut.

Of course polishing a bloomed finish will result in some loss of paint though.