R107 SL - Will these alloys fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SG1

Car
Anything Mercedes
Gents,

I have recently bought a 1987 R107 500SL and I am looking to change the alloys from standard.

The alloys in question are 8JX16 ET11 front and 9JX16 ET10 rear. (Standard alloys are 7JX15 ET25).

I have seen these fitted to facelift cars before but some say they won't fit so I'm 50/50 at the moment.

Any experts out there who could confirm either way? :thumb:

The original 15 hole 'flat face' alloys are the only alloys for the later R107. Anything else will look crass and devalue the car. These cars (as you probably know) have risen sharply in value over recent years and need to be kept in original condition to maintain value.

The car as standard did not have staggered wheels front to back so I think fitting a staggered set would be wrong.

Just my opinion.

Mark

9" width with an ET of only 10 might bring the rears perilously close to the rear arch. I've got 7.5" x 16 x et35 on the rear of mine and they're OK...but 10 is another 1" further out on a rim that's already 1 1/2" wider. You do the math.

You can always keep the original rims if/when you come to sell it. It's not like you're fitting a diesel engine or anything daft :crazy:.

Last edited:
The original 15 hole 'flat face' alloys are the only alloys for the later R107. Anything else will look crass and devalue the car. These cars (as you probably know) have risen sharply in value over recent years and need to be kept in original condition to maintain value.

The car as standard did not have staggered wheels front to back so I think fitting a staggered set would be wrong.

Just my opinion.

Mark

I understand and agree that originality is always best and key but the wheels are quality genuine wheels which are period correct and were fitted in the 80's.

I do not intend on ever selling the car and I would refurbish and keep the original alloys and change them back if I ever wanted to.

Thanks Dash & Druk.

I will trial fit them on the car before I get them refurbished :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom