R107 Turns but won't start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MYMB350SL

Car
350SL
Hello,
My R107 350SL (1977) has always started on the second turn of the ignition key virtually every time over the last 2 years .

Recently, when I drive it for an hour and leave it sitting for 2/3 hours it turns but refuses to start. Consistently! but still starting from cold (after the second turn of the key).

I have found myself having to jump start almost everyt time I go out for a length of time and it starts immediately. So thought it's definitely an electrical problem and changed the brushes on the alternator with a new battery in. It's turning a lot more healthily but still won't start if I try to drive off after a couple of hours somewhere... pain in the neck as I'm always wondering if I'll ever get home... or do I need to leave it to sit there till the morning...

Electrical? injectors? f. pump? who knows... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
H.

Sounds like vapor lock to me and that you're constantly cranking to get new cold fuel back up to the fuel rail.

Fuel accumulator ?

Yes, very likely. For some deranged reason, I read the year as 1972 when I first looked at the post. As 1977 makes it a CIS car, I would look at the fuel accumulator as the first thing to replace.

Thank you both. Will go ahead and replace it.

Any good places to look for replacement instructions?

It is worth watching this video showing the process on a W126 , essentially the same job .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also , you can go to your local library and borrow , or go online and buy , the Haynes manual for the W123 series which in many aspects is mechanically similar to the R107 , and for this item will be just the same .

This may be helpful too

Thank you folks. The accumulator did the job but only lasted less than a week and now back to having to pump the pedal a few times to help it start... changed the plugs and old ones only showed slight fuel leakage from a couple of injectors otherwise look ok and also changed ignition cable set. Apart from taking out all injectors and cleaning/replacing them, not sure what else to try. Not sure if the current heat wave has anything to do with it either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom