r107 walnut trim removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Viajero

Car
r107 sl
I'm trying to remove the wood centre panel of an '86 300sl so I can replace a light bulb that lights the ventilation slider knobs. I successfully pulled out the ventilation knobs and removed the three screws which hold the wood to the panel. However I can't figure out how to remove the round fan control switch to enable me to remove the wood panel and enable me to access the bulbs. I've tried pulling and tugging it to the point where any more effort would likely break it, but it doesn't come off. Can someone advise on how the fan/ventilation control switch is removed from the panel?

Im almost certain it does just pull off but im not 100% sure... ill try and find out for certain.

Many thanks for responding guys... would you remember if the knob pulls off separately from the 'ring' which has the fan speed setting markers or whether the ring and knob are one unit? I've just given it another go without success, and am thinking of trying to pry it off using a flat screwdriver head.

If i recall correctly , the knob pulls off.The slide controls for the heater also pull off. I think there are also some screws which are revealed when you remove the side trims from the slides . Be very carefull with these as they tend to be brittle with age.

Thank you for the quick reply - I will try pulling it one more time. I was able to pull off the slide controls quite easily. I didn't see any screws behind the slide trims, but there are three screws which are holding the wood panel to the back panel - these were easily removed, so if i'm able to remove the fan switch I should have access to the lights.

I'll probably be posting a lot of questions on these forums in the coming months - I got the 300sl a few weeks ago (brought it 'blind' off the internet, which is about as big a gamble as you can take while buying an old car), and am slowly working to restore it - it's been enjoyable, albeit slow progress thus far - the parts are all quite old by now, and simple things like opening a bolt can prove challenging... let's see how it goes.

You will find invaluable help on this forum . Also you may be surprised at what parts are still available from M.B. dealers . Good luck with your SL , they really are a joy to own , and a pleasure to work on.

Managed to pull it off this morning -gave away quite suddenly. Thank you NoMoneyButaMerc and jaymanek.

Luck I will need plenty of.... I also happen to be in the no money but a merc (in need of endless work) bracket ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom