R129.067 (1996 model) engine panel cover missing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
Hi

My r129 only has a engine panel trim on the underside and the left hand side but there is nothing on the right hand side.

It has caused quite a bit of additional dirt to enter that side of the engine bay and rust on the torsion bar.

I spoke with MB parts department and when they search using my VIN number (WBD1290672F138539) it says that the part is not suitable for my car and it shows no engine cover exists for that side of the engine bay.

I have looked on a variety of parts websites it clearly shows the 129.067 (and 066) model does have it but the 129.068 doesn't have it
I purchased this part A 129 524 08 30 about a year ago on eBay for £20 but it does not appear to fit and it now makes sense but given I have a 067 and not 068 I don't quite get it. Must have been some late 067 model where MB dropped this part?

but why would you leave the right hand side of the engine bay wide open to the elements and allow dirt etc to enter quit easily?

In what way does it not fit? It's not a "drop in" panel, you have to work it around the ARB and then rotate it into place. Is the bracketry also missing?

it just seems the wrong shape/size, I tried to fit it around the ARB but could not make it fit

there is no bracket on the car either, I was going to make my own once I had figured out how to put it in place but yesterday I ordered this bracket from MB as it is "only" £19 and perhaps that will give me a better indication on what goes where.

Once I have the bracket I will give it another go and will take some pictures and share it

I removed the bumper and wheel arch liner and presto the cover now fits :)

I am puzzled though where this £19 MB bracket is supposed to go. I can see some holes in the chassis for the metal tapping screw but no idea about this bracket.
Any ideas. A0281537-6000-4A4C-91AE-AB7C317ECEC1.jpeg
Btw this is using wide angle shot and the axle stand is not about to fall over :)

A4F358D5-7702-4851-BFBD-13FC85D39E5C.jpeg
Above picture. I think the hole in the cover lines up nicely with the chassis one. That should fit. Bracket does not go there but just had to hang it up for a second to take the picture

I will be first removing all the surface rust from the front of the car and reselling it before putting it all back together.

finally figured it all out when i made my 2nd attempt yesterday, the hole for the bracket was hidden by grease and dirt
this will now finally seal the underside of the engine bay for the first time in 13 years!
IMG_2275.jpeg

IMG_2276.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom