R129 104 engine which fuel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardF

Car
Sl 320
Hi I've been using supermarket fuel in my "94" 320. The engine runs well and I've been getting 25 ish mpg (28 on a run)

Has anyone noticed any difference with Shell Nitro etc?

Performance isn't an issue with me I like economy, smooth running and good pick up.

I've never noticed any difference, however, I use use branded fuel as I believe the detergents and other additives will be superior and better for the health of the engine.

The general consensus appears to be that unless you have an adaptive engine ECU and possibly a turbocharged petrol engine you will derive little benefit from a higher octane fuel. There may be hidden benefits from better additives although this impossible to quantify except in the longer term.

Thanks, I'll stick with the supermarket stuff day to day. I do put the occasional tank of branded petrol in when out of the area.

I used to work in the Oil industry - on fuel blending.

There will be no discernible difference in octane ratings between brands. 95 is 95 with a very close tolerance.

In the UK the "fuel in your tank" comes from whatever refinery serves your area/brand. Look it up, there are only a few left.... Recognise your "brand"?

Detergents are the only real issue, these days everyone has them.

It's like the French and bottled water - everyone has a favourite (mine is whatever is cheapest and convenient)

I know the tankers all come from the same refineries, but I was under the impression that supermarket fuels do not use / minimal additives and detergents blended at the pump? hence why their fuel price is lower...?

I used to work in the Oil industry - on fuel blending.

There will be no discernible difference in octane ratings between brands. 95 is 95 with a very close tolerance.

In the UK the "fuel in your tank" comes from whatever refinery serves your area/brand. Look it up, there are only a few left.... Recognise your "brand"?

Detergents are the only real issue, these days everyone has them.

It's like the French and bottled water - everyone has a favourite (mine is whatever is cheapest and convenient)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom