R129 2000 Special Edition Spec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GSEB

Car
SL 320
Hi,

I have seen an 2000 SL320 SL Edition on sale which looks pretty neat but wanted to understand the standard spec which came on this car. For instance this particular car does not have Zenons or the Pan roof which I thought were standard on special editions. I have looked extensively on the web but cannot get a definitive answer.

I also wanted a view on the Black Napa leather and how practical this is in the sun with the roof down. Do they over heat being black?

Thanks in advance.

The options included should be available on the data card. Better to look there first

I think that version was called "Final Edition" - you may be able to find more info. if you search on that. I also thought they came with xenons and the panoramic roof, but after 20+ years it's possible the hard top it has now isn't the original one. Black leather interiors are quite common in SLs (and probably many other convertibles) ... if you leave it parked in the sun with the roof down the seats will certainly be hot when you return, but not unbearably so in normal UK weather!

We had a 99 R129 last version but not a special edition which had both xenons and the pan roof. May just have been speced like that but the special edition doesn't seem very special without them. Ours was Azutite with light grey nappa leather and I have to say the nappa leather at least in a light colour wears very badly. Ours looked so shabby when i bought it I had the dealer (MB Doncaster as I renmember) have both front seats recovered in the same colour but the harder wearing leather. Still looked perfect 7 years later. Probably less of a problem with black

Nappa leather isn't that hard wearing, but is soft to the touch. Black is a good colour for convertibles as the inevitable dirt doesn't show up so much. I always close the roof when parked up in sunny weather if for no other reason than to protect the leather (skin!).

As for a pano roof, these were often standard equipment for the SL500 versions of Special Editions, of which there were quite a few, the 320s getting the tin tops.

I actually prefer the looks of the regular hardtop (the more angular shape suits the car better IMHO), although the panoramic one is nice from the inside. But very few people are going to use these cars in all weathers nowadays, so to some extent the top is a bit academic. As an aside the standard aluminium top is significantly lighter and easier to handle. It's over 12 years since I last had the hardtop on mine hence an old picture (pre-AMG alloys):

autumn3.jpg

I've got to agree with @BTB 500 the normal hard top suits the car better than the Pano, just looks right. Was going to sell the normal top, but now thinking i may keep both :rolleyes:

I recently acquired a panoramic roof, just a good option to have, but thats all it will be, an option, which will be stored away, as the car is only used in the summer :)

I actually prefer the looks of the regular hardtop (the more angular shape suits the car better IMHO), although the panoramic one is nice from the inside. But very few people are going to use these cars in all weathers nowadays, so to some extent the top is a bit academic. As an aside the standard aluminium top is significantly lighter and easier to handle. It's over 12 years since I last had the hardtop on mine hence an old picture (pre-AMG alloys):

View attachment 111790
Love this picture, Bill. Reciprocity failure at its best, photographically speaking.

Thanks Mike - it was my signature image for a long time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom