R129 300SL boot lid gas struts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilvB

Car
500SL
The boot lid on my 1997 300SL no longer pops up on opening and I guess there's something amiss with the gas strut.

How many are there - 1 or 2 (one per side) - and are they difficult to replace?

Hi, mine is 1999 sl320 and the two struts are designed to hold the boot lid up an inch or two when it is opened via the fob or the button at the back of the car. It is up to the driver to lift the boot lid and then it should stay propped in the fully extended position until it gets a little push and it dropped down into the closed position.
If it's that when fully extended it keeps dropping then there is a problem with the struts. Struts are €30 a pair on ebay don't know about main dealer price.

Apparently the strut/spring inside the arm-rest stowage is supposed to rise up to the fully extended position unassisted when the button is pressed. The strut is expensive. Not worth the money if it only lasts a short time in my opinion.

Regards,
Darragh

Got a couple of replacement struts, only to discover the right-hand one is impossible to remove due to the lower connection being in a tight space where I can't get a screwdriver in to lift the ball-joint attaching spring. Need to get in at an angle, but parts of the lid metalwork are in the way.

All sorted. Thought the problem was on the left - I took about an hour to remove both struts (one of which was nothing to do with the boot lid) - only to discover it was the one on the right that was faulty. Another hour later the right hand strut was off, after much difficulty in getting the spring clip to release (not much space to work).

Had enormous problems getting one of the struts back on; eventually attached the top end and then used a crowbar and a brick as a fulcrum to compress it before knocking it onto the stud.

I had the same problem and bought a pair or originals for £51. Both sides are a fiddle to fit and the soft top cover panel has to be supported half open to allow access to the spring clips. These clips can break so take care with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom