R129, 320 V6, Non start issue, 2001 year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madbonky

Car
R129 300SL, ML 320, C240, CLK 500 CAB, W203 ESTATE W126 500 SEL R129 320
Ok, so the other day, i am at red lights on a hill, car is in drive but stationary due to incline. Suddenly without warning it cuts out, wont restart. Luckily no one behind so i put in neutral and coast backwards down the hill. For the next 10 mins or so tried starting it but no luck. Just cranks over. Then suddenly just fires up and i get it home without any further issues. It was lowish on fuel, but the petrol light only came on when i got near home, about 2 miles from where it had broken down.

Started every time without issue since on the driveway. (I chucked £5 worth of fuel in it from a can though) So today i thought i would put some more fuel in and take for a drive, after filling up, the car cranked over before firing just for a couple of secs longer than usual before starting, but long enough for me to notice. It drove fine and started perfectly fine when i tried again when i got home.

It seems something may not be right, when you know your car, you know your car if you know what i mean. I am thinking, fuel filter, crank position sensor or fuel pump, maybe. Has anyone come across something like this on the M112 engine? Car has done 109k, looking through the history i cannot see when the fuel filter was last changed but it has had a few fuel purges carried at various services. I am assuming its fuel rather than spark, just a hunch not fact.

Are there any common issues on these M112 engines that have these symptoms?

Thanks
Jay

Crank sensor is the first place I would go. Can you hear the fuel pump?

Crank sensor is the first place I would go. Can you hear the fuel pump?
Hi ,

I was listening for the fuel pump when it wouldn't start but not sure if i could hear it, sometimes you can hear it on ignition but sometimes you cant, but will start even if I cant cant hear it,

I will try a CPS as you have suggested and see what happens.

Thanks
Jay

Another vote for the CPS..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom