R129 500sl - Repair or Sell as Spares????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muzzy

Car
500SL
Hi All,

Following on from my earlier post regarding the throttle valve actuator needing to be replaced I finally sourced one (£365!) and had the garage fit it.

I've just been informed it doesn't work. Irritating to say the least. The real problem I'm having is that I need the car gone, hence throwing cash at getting it repaired.

Now this part has failed it's going to have to be moved back to my folks house where I need to either attempt to repair it again (time consuming) or just get shot of it. I don't fancy paying merc the £1k + for a new actuator which means hunting for another one.

Obviously I don't want to lose lots of money but at the same time it can't be sat around awaiting repairs. I have a daily driver and no space at mine for it and to be honest I've hardly used it this past year, I just couldn't face getting rid of it. I'm afraid though that the head must finally rule the heart.

I suppose what I am asking is what would it be worth as spares?

It's a 93 reg 500sl, about 110k, blue/grey/black in colour, 18" AMG wheels, engine is all good apart from this actuator, I think. Just passed it's mot.

I'm guessing it's worth a lot more fixed (about £4k???) but how much would you guess it's worth broken? Are these parts selling or will I be in a similar position but with half a car I can't store for weeks while bits are sold here and there?

Thanks in advance.

I suppose if you take the repair cost away from what it would be worth repaired , then look at a value slightly lower than that figure , you won't be far off .

You reckon it is perhaps worth £4K fixed ( I've been looking at 129's lately and they seem to start from about there for ones that look outwardly reasonable ) with what might be the faulty part at £1K + ; then fitting to maybe have it fixed . Are you sure it is the actuator or could the fault be something else ?

Supposing it costs £2 K to fix , you might be lucky to get £2K for it ; more likely a prospective buyer is going to want it for less with the uncertainty that is all that is needed to fix , so maybe £1K to £1.5K ?

Or is my reasoning flawed ?

For myself , I would rather go out and spend £4K on a car that is working than buy a non runner for £2K then hope I can fix it for no more than another £2K .

Especially when there are lots of R129's out there .

Last edited:
I suppose if you take the repair cost away from what it would be worth repaired , then look at a value slightly lower than that figure , you won't be far off .

You reckon it is perhaps worth £4K fixed ( I've been looking at 129's lately and they seem to start from about there for ones that look outwardly reasonable ) with what might be the faulty part at £1K + ; then fitting to maybe have it fixed . Are you sure it is the actuator or could the fault be something else ?

Supposing it costs £2 K to fix , you might be lucky to get £2K for it ; more likely a prospective buyer is going to want it for less with the uncertainty that is all that is needed to fix , so maybe £1K to £1.5K ?

For myself , I would rather go out and spend £4K on a car that is working than buy a non runner for £2K then hope I can fix it for no more than another £2K .

£2k was what I was thinking if I was to buy such a car. Depends where it is located also as there would be cost to flatbed it back home..

agreed, I would also say £1 - 1.5k in the current market...

What did you decide in the end, if breaking please let me know as few parts I may be able to buy from you.

cheers Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom