R129 6 CD Changer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skyedriver

Car
SL500 (R129) plus TVR, Caterham, Volvo.
The MB OE 6CD changer on my 1993 SL500 only plays about 2/3 of a CD before the sound quality deteriorates, ending up with the song in a sort of pulsing mode.
I've stripped the unit, cleaned everything but still the problem continues and fear it's the central spindle/bearing.
Looking for a replacement and while there are no inexpensive MB ones about I see a one from a Renault Laguna/Megane which would seem to be the same manufacturer (Alpine). The plug has the same 8+1 pins although the locking clip is in a slightly different position. Anyone used one of these, modifying the plug or socket? Or anyone with a working changer they no longer use?
Thanks in advance.

Probably a more cost effective option is change the head unit for a modern one with Bluetooth streaming, my brother has the same car as you and now streams music from his phone, obviously it doesn't look as the original but it does the job.

Bluetooth would be nice but I would prefer to keep the OE head unit if possible.
(Despite the wheels, exhaust and front indicators not being original!)

Bluetooth would be nice but I would prefer to keep the OE head unit if possible.
(Despite the wheels, exhaust and front indicators not being original!)
Yes my brother was the same but practical wise it was the sensible option.
The changers are fine when they work, but expensive to replace, I had one in a clk320 2004 that died it was in the glovebox and there was a option to replace it with a usb box upgrade, that replaced the changer and plugged into the optical lead from the head unit, but the cost was not practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom