r129 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mabz

Car
1998 bmw 840 ci sport
MERCEDES SL 500 129 AMG CONVERSION SPORTS LHD | eBay
looks lovely,i have phoned the guy about.
is there anyway to tell if its a genuine amg factory model(i thought there was a factory amg sticker in the door shut or engine bay)
shame that the wheel pictured seems to have the dreaded centrebore to stud hairline crack...

Looks like it could be a decent car. AMG might be able to confirm they did the conversion, from the VIN.

Looks like it could be a decent car. AMG might be able to confirm they did the conversion, from the VIN.

thats what i thought,i really shouldnt be looking as its really un-practical with 2 kids under 3 years old although it will be a high day and holiday car so not the end of the world as we have a family bus already for that sort of stuff
i cant resist i love 129's

With just the starting price set at £6k, for what is essentially a imported 1991 R129 with a few trinkets bolted on, is this already not too dear?

Looks like its just an off the shelf AMG bodykit, wheels and exhaust....I cant imagine that it was a factory AMG conversion....I suspect that claim is wishfull thinking

With just the starting price set at £6k, for what is essentially a imported 1991 R129 with a few trinkets bolted on, is this already not too dear?

if its a genuine amg i would say its a reasonable starting price but if its just a normal one with the added trinkets then about 4.5k would be about right imho.they just dont make as much as some people like to think.
the major downside is that the wheels are clearly in need of attention and the wheel pictured has 3 cracks from the centrebore to the stud so getting them repaired will be costly and not a lot of refurbers will do that weld apparantly.

If it had the factory conversion you would think there would be an engine bay shot though I'm not sure whether the early conversions had the AMG cover or not.

As Bill has said, if you get the VIN Affalterbach will advise on it's status. I've done this with an iffy G55 (it wasn't). It took about a week.

As Bill has said, if you get the VIN Affalterbach will advise on it's status. I've done this with an iffy G55 (it wasn't). It took about a week.

How do you contact Affalterbach?

Should be fairly straightforward - the only AMG factory 129 at that point (bar private special orders) was the 500SL 6.0. Does it have the bigger engine or is it just AMG styling adornments?

AFAIK AMG were officially linked with M-B in 1990, so I'm pretty sure a 1991 SL could have been ordered through the dealer network with AMG wheels and bodykit. At that point all cars were made by M-B as standard models and then sent to AMG for conversion anyway. IIRC the first car actually built as an AMG was the C36?

Curious mix of parts - spoiler is right for the age of car, but the exhaust is for the facelift version.

as far as i am aware the only genuine R129 AMG model is the SL60 AMG....any others are R129 with bolt on AMG bits, i should know as i have one...never heard of factory conversion cars...

Earlier cars had square exhaust tips, later cars were round.

I know that but AMG did have round tips before the squares so the ebay car has the correct period exhaust,just like this one

1989-r129-500sl-60-amg-14.jpg

The 1990 AMG brochure (so at the beginning of the 129) I have shows square tips, but then again this is AMG before they became mainstream, so who knows?

I know that but AMG did have round tips before the squares so the ebay car has the correct period exhaust,just like this one

Not on R129s they didn't. The original 500SL 6.0 had a square tipped exhaust which carries a 124 part number (shared with the E36).

Not on R129s they didn't. The original 500SL 6.0 had a square tipped exhaust which carries a 124 part number (shared with the E36).

So how do you explain the one on the picture ^ does that have the wrong backbox too.PS: The E36 was nowhere to be seen on them early days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom