r129 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The square tipped box on mine had a part number starting HWA129...as it should.

I take it yours wasn't an '89 500SL 6.0 then? (I meant 500E as well not E36).

I take it yours wasn't an '89 500SL 6.0 then? (I meant 500E as well not E36).

Don`t know what it is,just got the picture to prove that the backbox is period and correct for the year

Here's a similar aged car, with square tips.

DSC00454.jpg

And a 1992 car from AMG Japan with round. Soooo, about as clear as mud then!

SANY0003.jpg

The latter has the later split rims and a non-AMG exhaust. Both cars are non-original anyway.

Oval original part number was HWA 129 490 02 21 and not valid for the 500SL 6.0. Accessory AMG items (non-factory fitment) moved to B part numbers B6 602 0822 & B6 602 0823.

Soooo, about as clear as mud then!

Yes but even with pictures you can`t convince certain people that there might be a possibility of them being wrong for once

The round tips would be correct for an early car as they are the same ones that went on the AMG W126's etc of the time.

I think some people are confusing two seperate issues here - one of what is and isn't original AMG equipment/period fitment and whether the car in the OP is a factory AMG 6.0 SL or not.

One problem these days is that there have been so many of these cars retrofitted and modified over the years that you can't use any example in 2013 as a benchmark - only original details/facts can prove or disprove what is correct :eek:

I think what Ierton is trying to say is that the only 'factory' R129 model at the time was the 6.0? And that factory 6.0 R129s had different exhaust tips to the one in the OP?

I don't know the answer to that though so will just enjoy the thread and pictures :D

Beginning to like the idea of an R129 again... :)

I think what Ierton is trying to say is that he is the king of 129s and knows it all

Fixed that for you will :D

Not the only one, they also offered a 3.4 based on the 300SL - obviously wasn't very popular though.

I've been scurrying through some of the literature from when the car was new, and it seems both round and square tails were in evidence so either is clearly plausible.

Stop all this talk of AMG exhausts immediately. You're reminding me that mine has an inadequate exhaust which could result in much expense :D.

Now you've really gone and done it! I'm toying the idea of an Eisenmann back box with twin oval pipes as I would like a bit more V8 lovliness in terms of sound but not so much as to annoy the neighbour or cause an image issue if I visit clients. It would also be subject the checking with my insurer. The other alternative is a cheaper stainless back box modified with AMG tips. Also, I don't want to have to cut the bumper. It has always seemed odd to me that they AMG back box wasn't standard on SL60 AMGs.

I would like a bit more V8 lovliness in terms of sound but not so much as to annoy the neighbour or cause an image issue if I visit clients. It would also be subject the checking with my insurer. The other alternative is a cheaper stainless back box modified with AMG tips. Also, I don't want to have to cut the bumper. It has always seemed odd to me that they AMG back box wasn't standard on SL60 AMGs.

Start by removing the centre muffler - this is a simple & cheap job that any exhaust place will do (I used the local branch of Longlife). That has a relatively mild effect but may be enough. The AMG 'accessory' rear box is cosmetic only - didn't affect the exhaust note of my lowly 500 :D at all.

The other option is to also remove the secondary cats. These are not required to meet the emissions test, and while there was a small doubt about passing the new MOT rules with just the main (primary) cats in place it's been a year now and nobody has had a problem.

With my insurer the wording is "non standard manifold/exhaust' so once you've declared the first mod. it doesn't matter what you do after that.

I agree it's somewhat odd that the SL60 just had a standard dull rear box!

I'm not personally a fan of stainless steel rear boxes as they never fit the recess under the back of the car and so are visually quite obtrusive.

I presume you replace the centre muffler with the y-piece Biturbo mentions having had done when fitting his Eisenmann back box. If so where he went isn't so far from me.

Yes, they just fabricate a stainless steel Y pipe. Dead simple, Longlife did it in about an hour ... total cost was £129 incl. VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom