r129 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My insurance company said they need to know what type of exhaust would be fitted giving examples of twin and quad. I mentioned that it might only be part of the exhaust that would be replaced and that it has a twin exhaust anyway so I'm not exactly sure what I would say if only removing the centre silencer however the additional annual cost for having a twin exhaust fitted would be £46.88.

Thanks. Is it fairly straightforward to buy/arrange through that site? It looks it when you press on the calculator.

The exhaust looks to be in good condition too. The only question is whether I wish to improve the noise but I guess I could fit that and replace the middle silencer with a y piece. Would fitting a y piece be reversible? It would be nice for any future buyer to have the option of putting it back to standard with it being such a rare and original car.

I got my AMG rear box on eBay.de ... think they still crop up there now and again. Up till fairly recently you could still order them through dealers, IIRC the price was well over £1k though!

With earlier R129s the rear box bolts on but mine had it as part of the rear system. So it had to be cut off and the AMG one welded on - this could be reversed but not a 5 minute job, and of course you'd have to store the original bits (which are bulky & heavy) on the off chance that someone might want to do it. Similar for the centre muffler.

If I bought an AMG back box it would stay on. I was thinking more of the centre section really in case I either don't like it or someone wanted to keep it completely original. I do keep an eye out on ebay.de but nothing has come up for a while. My wife is German so that helps as she can translate and we can have items delivered to her Mum's and collect them when we visit or ask her to bring them over when she visits. If only I had a Japanese mistress ;-)

My wife is German so that helps as she can translate and we can have items delivered to her Mum's and collect them when we visit or ask her to bring them over when she visits.

Snap ... my in-laws went to pick the AMG box up from near Stuttgart and brought it over :)

Have you learnt to speak the language yet? I'm ashamed to say my German is still very poor.

Unfortunately not. It was easier when my wife spoke German to the kids at home, but she's almost given up on that now as they only ever answer back in English!

I can understand a reasonable amount but lack confidence in speaking. I did do German O Level but that was in 1976 so not exactly fresh in my mind :D

Similar to me then as I did German GCSE. I too can understand quite a bit but when her and friends all get together and talk quickly it's hard plus they're so good at English they tend to slip into it. I find a few beers helps though.

BE careful buying from Japan... Shipping is ridiculous...

I once bought some side skirts for £300.. ended up paying another £400 to get them here... never again!

I'm getting confused over part numbers too. The EPC suggests part number HWA1292900321 for the SL60 whereas this is 0221 but I'm not sure it matters. It looks like cutting and welding is necessary too. I'll probably end up not bothering doing anything but I would like to improve the sound and looks a bit but it must still retain most of it's subtlety when not pushing on.

the amg backbox does not effect the sound or performance. It is merely some chrome tips. i believe BTB 500 achieved a nice sound on his sl500 by removing the resonator.

r129 sl60 amg with an eisenmann exhaust - YouTube

here is my sl60 amg with a sport eisenmann exhaust.

I've listened to that a few times. I'm thinking wither Eisenmann back box with twin ovals to look as close to AMG as possible (with or without centre muffler) or AMG back box without centre muffler. The Eisenmann's are not cheap though and I don't want to cut the bumber. Regarding postage from Japan, that auction site does quote but you need to know the weight. It doesn't seem too bad though. The problem is you have to put credit into your account in order to bid which I'm not sure I'd be prepared to do in case the bidding went higher than I am prepared to pay. I would also worry about dealing with issues if they arise.

Bide your time and keep an eye on German ebay. There's normally at least one a month on there.

I've not seen one in the several months I've been looking though there is a round tipped one for older models on there at the moment with a centre muffler. The price seems a bit ambitious though it is or best offer. It's not for me though.

Bide your time and keep an eye on German ebay. There's normally at least one a month on there.

It used to but not lately,you got lacky with yours and got a super bargain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom