R129 Audio Wiring...Check this mess out!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Dude

Car
1995 R129 320 SL, Volvo C30, Porsche 996, Honda Jazz Sport
So having purchased an Audio 10 from a fellow forum member I removed the Sony BT 60 Mechless to find the following jumble of wires ! it looks like the previous ahem installer has taken a feed from the blue wire into a whole load of other connectors...

Would someone please tell me what iso connector harness i need to get the Audio 10 working correctly as I don't have a clue and asking the internet didn't help !

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• audio wiring.jpg
    audio wiring.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 116
...I can confirm that the Alpine Audio 10 is a plug and play installation, however the audio is uber bassy! So much so that I have wound the bass back to minus 5!

I guess the speakers might be suffering at the hands of the original additional amplification?

I have Naim and Spendor at home and certainly the mercs audio is not going to threaten this for SQ!!! Will have to live with good enough...however the Audio 10 looks so much better than the aftermarket headunit...

I can't tell you which ISO connector you need, but the audio wiring harness decode on my 1994 SL500 is:

OE loom wire colours and functions as follows:

Thick Brown Earth

Thin Brown (x 2, in a 5x2 connector) Boot CD changer

Red/White (thick) Permanent live 12V

Grey/Blue (very thin) Instrument Lights

Black/Green (very thin) VSS/GALA
(if fitted)

Black (x 2) Speaker Negatives

Black/White Left Speaker Positive

Blue Aerial

Green/Black (thick) Right Speaker Positive

Black/Blue (thin) Switched Live 12V

If those are the colours in your OE loom, it is likely to be the same. If you're testing, bear in mind that with the switched live black/blue thin wire, it remains live until you withdraw the key from the ignition lock.

(Mine was a Billy Bodger's bugger's muddle too....)

HTH.

Last edited:
...tis all working using only the original loom now thus have approximately 200 feet of extraneous wiring!

For some reason only known to the installer they used the blue aerial wire from the original loom to connect to the extra wiring harnesses?!

Need to thank joss (forum member) for supplying the Audio 10 exactly as described it really is in A1 condition...

Do any of you have the rear seat option. As I have installed a couple of months ago a head unit and new speakers in the doors. Which worked for a couple on months then stopped. Speakers are fine. Have found a black box behind passenger under seat and it says MB sound system. Is this an amp? Even though I have no subwoofer nor do I think I have the Bose option. Car is a 1994 SL320 registered early jan 1995.

...I have the rear seats and the same amplifier...I believe there is another bigger amplifier underneath the passenger side carpet?

In any case once I returned the wiring to original harness and connected the Audio 10 the stereo works perfectly despite me having to turn the bass level down to minus 5 !

...tis all working using only the original loom now thus have approximately 200 feet of extraneous wiring!

For some reason only known to the installer they used the blue aerial wire from the original loom to connect to the extra wiring harnesses?!

Need to thank joss (forum member) for supplying the Audio 10 exactly as described it really is in A1 condition...

You're welcome Giles :thumb:

** Just seen this now **

You are most welcome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom