R129 bas and abs lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wearsthefoxhat

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL500 : R129. /. E55k : S211
Had the above lights come on on my SL500, my1998. Diagnostics indicated that “unable to reset steering angle sensor”.
Have replaced the sensor with a new one from MB, put it all back together and taken it for a quick test drive, steering wheel stop to stop a few times but they are still on. : (. Didn’t replace the clock spring part but did test all four cables for continuity, all okay.
Would this need to be reset from “star” or should they just go out if all working. thank you..

When I have had this error I have not needed star to reset it via star. Although my errors have been due to the battery being disconnected rather than a fault.
Take it you have already tried disconcerting the battery

Thanks, I replaced the brake light switch initially, cleaned the wheels sensors and had a look at the reluctor rings.
I am going to take it all apart again just to double check that everything has gone back correctly. The indicators do not self cancel, the housing for the stalks would rotate a little but fixed that too.

failing this shall book it into someone who knows 129’s.

Do all the lights come on straight away or once you start moving or touch the brake pedal?

They come on with the ignition switch and stay on. Am doubtful that the new steering angle sensor would be duff, but... genuine one from MB.
Just sort of convinced that it something to do with the steering wheel boss but can’t see why !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom