R129 Blink code/airbag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardF

Car
Sl 320
Hi all

I have been unable to access the airbag codes (pin 30 of the 38pin diag socket) using a blink code reader. The code reader works okay on all the other pins, I wish to clear a code after I replace a damaged squib/clock spring next week.

At the moment I've disconnected the airbag, I won't cause any damage driving like this will I?

1994 320SL (95 MY)

I'm using pin 30 on the 38 pin diag socket.

Are these codes "star" only? Or should I be able to access with my blink code jobbie?
If it's "star" only are there any members with STAR who would be able to help me for a few beer vouchers? (Warwickshire region)

Thanking you in advance, Richard
progress.gif

When I got my R129 the car had an incorrect steering wheel ( from something like a W126 ) and , as it turned out , the loom to the wheel had been cut so that the airbag didn't work ( the warning lamp had also been removed from the cluster ) ; along with this there was no connection to the horn push and a toggle switch had been put into the carpeted trim beneath the cluster !

After I sourced the correct wood/leather steering wheel , minus airbag and a suitable chrome star airbag from a late W202 , along with the loom section/spiral disc , and assembled it all ( fortunately the loom had been cut just behind the steering wheel , so the connectors under the dash were still intact and I just plugged the loom in , at the same time replacing the missing lamp , and all was well with the SRS lamp illuminating correctly then going out as it should ; I had to reinstate the original wiring to the horn as the toggle switch had been jury rigged with a separate run to the horn , but all ended up as it should be and with no ill effects , despite my running the car like that for my first few weeks of ownership and I don't know how long before that !

I never read nor deleted any codes , but all has been fine since the problem was fixed .

Thanks for the reply, with luck it'll be okay.

I had a problem once before, I disconnected the air bag and accidently turned on the ignition. The airbag light would then stay on for a minute or 2 rather than extinguishing straight away. I hadn't a blink code reader at the time so a friendly (now closed) Indy reset it with STAR.

It may be the difference between model yrs. I'm pretty sure it will need STAR for a reset but I thought I would be able to access the codes with a blink code reader.

If the fault is gone it may reset by shorting Pin 30 and pin 1 (earth) for ten seconds.

Hi, yeah thanks. The problem is I can't get my code reader to read pin 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom