R129 - Blower motor speed 4 same as speed 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
My blower motor works fine in speed 1, 2, and 3 but when you select 4 there is no change from speed 3.

I gained access to the blower motor and finally found out the reason why sometimes when cornering or going over a speedbump the blow motor would make an almighty racket, this is because the metal clip that holds the motor in place was loose as the plastic mould had broken off. But that can be easily fixed

Armed with my Voltmeter I had some confusing results:
  • When connected to the voltage regulator output the on the voltmeter registers 11.87V, it does this when on speed 1, 2, 3 and 4, I thought the voltage was supposed to change with each different settings.
volts from voltage regulator 11.87v.jpg
  • I also measured the output before it hits the voltage regulator and it shows 7V
voltage from fuse 7v.jpg

I will go and measure the voltages again later this afternoon

Again speed 1, 2 and 3 work fine and when selecting speed 4 it feels (and is) the same speed as 3, you noticed this when trying to demist the windows in the morning / evening.

I also found the reason why the aircon is not working, indie had said I needed a new evaporator and am trying to gear up for that project later on but I now have physical evidence, the dye does not lie :)
evaporator dye.jpg

Any ideas on what to try with the blower motor and try and figure out why setting 4 does not work. Is this a voltage regulator issue or ....

Thanks

2nd measurements of the day

• I measured again before it hits the voltage regulator and this time it measured 11.96V, I must have done something wrong the first time with wrong ground as it only read 7V previously
IMG_1184.jpg

• Measured it by the blower motor and this time I received 3 readings (put the voltmeter on the poles of the blower motor while it was also receiving power from the voltage regulator
    • speed 1: 3.2V
    • speed 2: 5.49V
    • speed 3: 5.92V and same for speed 4
IMG_1179.jpg

But when I connect the voltage meter direct to the voltage regulator output it measures 11.82V (regardless of speed), Does this make sense?

IMG_1177.jpg

I will try a new anther Voltage regulator next and see what measurements I get

Also need to figure out a way to reattach the metal clamp that holds the blower motor in place

Replacement voltage regulator is in and all working again.

Also fixed motor blower metal strap that holds the entire thing in place so no more whirring noise.

Also gave it a good clean. 23 years of dirt
0101a7cf028d41a0de9ca1fcb7a7eb50.jpg

Left is before. Right is after.

Also cleaned out all the dirt from the pollen filter cover.

Of course broke a plastic connector for the hydraulic lines so waiting for a replacement from mb before putting it all back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom